Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Logo 550sx motor options

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Logo 550sx motor options

    As we all know the (only!) problem with the 550SX is the limited choice of motors, and it's a question that comes up fairly often, so I've been doing a bit of digging online and with manufacturers to see if we could try and have a definitive list of what motors work. As it happens we now have more choice than we all thought

    For the uninitiated... In stock form the 550SX needs a motor with 30mm M4 mount spacing and a 5mm shaft, of which the only one is the stock Scorpion 4025 - 1100 (I know you can get the 25mm motor mount but then you can't use the counter-bearing and 3rd bearing support, and it isn't in production so it isn't really a future proof solution). This motor is OK, but there are many that don't like Scorpion motors.

    The good news is that there are an increasing amount of motors that are coming with both 25/30mm mount spacing and 6mm shaft. So if we mod the drivetrain to use the Logo 600SX Mod1 gear and pinions we can use these motors, as seen in the linked doc. Pyro 650-103L, 550SX Edition.pdf

    Anyway, here are the options:


    In stock form:
    Mikado branded Scorpion 4025-1100
    Mikado branded Scorpion 4020-1100 (as sold with older 500 kit)

    With Mod1 gear mod
    Kontronik Pyro 650-103L (AWESOME but ££) link
    KDE Direct 550XF-1200-G3 (NEW - anyone tried this?) link
    KDE Direct 600XF-1100 (Not sure it is available in the UK)
    Scorpion Branded 4025-1100 (produced after April 2014)
    Align 730MX (with 14/15t Mod1 pinion)
    **Xnova 4025-1120KV (coming soon!)



    **coming soon from XNOVA!
    I have just received this response:
    "We will offer from now the 4025 size, which is perfect for logo 500 or 550 with the
    new mounting option, it means 2* M4 *30mm and 2* M4 25mm"

    So from the next shipment from Xnova the below motor will fit!

    Xnova 4025-1120KV 1.5Y - SHAFT A (link)


    Hopefully this helps someone, if I've missed anything then let me know.

    Phil
    Last edited by philipjdall; 08-04-2015, 10:59 PM.
    Phil

  • #2
    There is also the Mikado/Scorpion 4020-1100 which comes as part of the logo 500 super-combo. One thing to note is that the bolt size needs to be M4 as well as the mounting bolt width being 30mm in order to use the counter bearing with no issues
    Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days lived

    Comment


    • #3
      Fair call, have edited the original post. FWIW I'm not sure there are any 30mm mount motors that don't have M4?

      Have also added the 600Xf as some people have got it to work successfully,

      p
      Phil

      Comment


      • #4
        Align 730mx with mod1 15 tooth pinion should work well?
        360 RC Technologies and Optipower

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks for the useful info. The Xnova option looks interesting. For the moment I have chosen the Pyro for my current build.
          Yan
          XL Protos 380, XL Power Specter 700, Align 700Top Dom, Green & Black Vbar Controls.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by anjki View Post
            Align 730mx with mod1 15 tooth pinion should work well?
            I don't think so as it has a 6mm shaft, which means it'll need the mod 1 106t gear, and the largest m1 pinion is 13t. I don't think you'll be able to get near target headspeed with that motor.
            Phil

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by yuppyflyer View Post
              Thanks for the useful info. The Xnova option looks interesting. For the moment I have chosen the Pyro for my current build.
              Yeah im keen to try out the xnova option too. I'm trying to get them to send me one from Italy as it'll still be a while till they're available here. In the meantime you won't be disappointed with the pyro. It's a beast, and so efficient.
              Phil

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by philipjdall View Post
                I don't think so as it has a 6mm shaft, which means it'll need the mod 1 106t gear, and the largest m1 pinion is 13t. I don't think you'll be able to get near target headspeed with that motor.

                This is the mod1 setup with 730mx that should work well.

                MIK4415 Mikado 15 Tooth Herringbone Pinion, M1, dia. 6mm
                [04415]
                360 RC Technologies and Optipower

                Comment


                • #9
                  Ah cool I didn't realise they were still making the 14 & 15t. Good spot that will work!

                  although it is almost 100g heavier than other options.
                  Last edited by philipjdall; 04-04-2015, 12:52 PM.
                  Phil

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Yeah, very true with the extra weight but have a feeling it may handle it nicely as it's such a light model to start with.
                    I have a 600sx I fly no more, so have been looking for things to do with it. Shrinking to 550 size was an option so I'm interested in any other combos that may work.
                    360 RC Technologies and Optipower

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by philipjdall View Post
                      Fair call, have edited the original post. FWIW I'm not sure there are any 30mm mount motors that don't have M4?

                      Have also added the 600Xf as some people have got it to work successfully,

                      p
                      As I remember some of the older 600 size motors would use M3 bolts as opposed to M4. SAVOX and the older Quantum motors come to mind but not definite on those. Doubt that any current 30mm mount motors will use M3 though, admittedly.
                      Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days lived

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X