Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

C of G issue?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • C of G issue?

    Hi there,
    I've noticed that my 130x always seems to 'lean' forward on clockwise yaw rotation and backwards on anticlockwise yawing. So right hand hover circuits drive themselves but left hand ones keep needing to be nudged forwards. Piro hovering also needs constant corrections.

    I was assuming that it's a c of g problem but moving the lipo, adding weight to the tail, seem to make no difference. Should I expect this sort of constant correction? I know hovers need input and don't fly themselves but this constant repetitive 'fixing' from a steady level hover seems to be something unnecessary.

    Any ideas?
    Raptor G4 - Radix 690s, OS 91HZ, Spartan Vortex v3, MKS HV servos, OptiFuel 20%
    Logo 600sx - Edge 603s, Turnigy 120HV - Scorpion 4035-500 - Mini Vbar - Savox servos
    Logo 550sx - Edge 553s, Turnigy 100LV - Scorpion 4025-1100 - Mini Vbar - Futaba 451/251s
    Blade 130X moneypit shelved

  • #2
    I believe, although don't quote me on this one, it's all to do with gyroscopic precession of the rotor disc....if you are traveling forward then when you yaw the heli unless the rotor disc is flat/horizontal the direction of lift changes and hence why the heli pitches up or down (the disc will tilt at 90° to the direction of blade lift, it's like trying to steer a gyroscope in that it goes in a different direction to the one you are trying to force it by turning it!)

    Hope that makse sense, probably not explained it that well? If in doubt have a google for gyroscopic precession
    Neil

    1 x


    Raptor 30, OS32, on its way to being FBL (and leccy?)
    Trex 450 Pro, Beastx, Savox 0257, DS520
    Blade 180CFX

    DX9 & DX7
    Too many planks...

    Comment


    • #3
      Probably the same reason I find CW banks easier than ACW banks. But I see we are discussing the 130X and my little Limpy banks like he's doing it himself Left, right, he don't care. He sweeps round having masses of fun. Which is why I was mortified I had so much trouble translating that to the 450/500. Thanks again for that lesson by the way. Might get a chance to put it into real life practise when the weather is more ammeanable, sigh.

      Yep, what Neil said

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by nobbycopter View Post
        I believe, although don't quote me on this one, it's all to do with gyroscopic precession of the rotor disc....if you are traveling forward then when you yaw the heli unless the rotor disc is flat/horizontal the direction of lift changes and hence why the heli pitches up or down (the disc will tilt at 90° to the direction of blade lift, it's like trying to steer a gyroscope in that it goes in a different direction to the one you are trying to force it by turning it!)

        Hope that makse sense, probably not explained it that well? If in doubt have a google for gyroscopic precession
        I'm not certain that would explain Mattscupoftea scenario as I thought he implied he was just hovering ? To be honest, I can't think of anything that could explain that behaviour - gyroscopic precession wouldn't apply when yawing in a hover ...

        Another possibility is the pilot! I certainly find that I climb (+ve collective) on a left hand yaw and drop (-ve collective) on a right hand yaw. The reason why - my left hand thumb doesn't move perfectly sideways, so I always end up giving a bit of collective by accident!

        Must practise more ...
        Tom
        sigpic Synergy E7SE - Kontronic Helijive 120+ ESC, vBar Neo
        SAB Goblin 630 Competition
        - Castle Edge 120HV, vBar Neo
        Blade 700X - Castle Edge 160HV ESC, Mini vBar
        Logo 550SXv2 - Castle 130LV ESC, vBar Neo
        .... and a Gaui X3
        Spektrum DX8 ; Mikado VBC ; RealFlight 7 & neXt sims
        ... and two EGS'



        Comment


        • #5
          It can be caused by any number of things. Centre of gravity, wind, tracking on the heli, all sorts. Something cheap and un-adjustable like that will never piro completely flat, you just have to learn to live with it im afraid... you could potentially try adding a little mix in your TX to combat it but thats not something ive done before!
          NONE OF THE BELOW HELI'S ARE OWNED BY ME ANY MORE
          TT Raptor G4 + Vbar
          | MCPX V1 + HP05 Brushless & All the upgrades | 130x Stock | Henseleit TDR 2013 +Vbar | 450L DOMINATOR 6S + Mini Kbar | Logo 550SX +Vbar Mini
          Proud wearer of the EGS award!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by tomatwalden View Post
            I'm not certain that would explain Mattscupoftea scenario as I thought he implied he was just hovering ? To be honest, I can't think of anything that could explain that behaviour - gyroscopic precession wouldn't apply when yawing in a hover ...
            My impression was a hover circuit which I thought implied forward movement...

            I wonder if it's to do with the tail driving round and tilting the rotor thus causing the movement? Thinking about it now I must subconsciously put left and forward on the clclic when doing a stationary AC pirouette and back and right when doing a CW one...will try on the aim tonight
            Neil

            1 x


            Raptor 30, OS32, on its way to being FBL (and leccy?)
            Trex 450 Pro, Beastx, Savox 0257, DS520
            Blade 180CFX

            DX9 & DX7
            Too many planks...

            Comment


            • #7
              So it's happening in level hovering flight and affecting slow hovering circuits, inside with no wind. The moment force of the tail force translated thru 90 degrees due to gyroscopic precession makes sense to me. I can't remember from my aero/astro engineering days (it's been a few years) whether it's the right hand or left hand rule to check the theory. I'll look it up when I get home.

              I'm guessing that the reason I haven't seen it with the logo 500 is the weight and size difference. It may be happening but just not as apparent. . .

              Maybe I'll post a video to show the behaviour. Maybe I have to accept it and continue to learn to compensate for it.

              Just seems odd that it's not 'built into' the fbl system if it is standard and controllable.
              Raptor G4 - Radix 690s, OS 91HZ, Spartan Vortex v3, MKS HV servos, OptiFuel 20%
              Logo 600sx - Edge 603s, Turnigy 120HV - Scorpion 4035-500 - Mini Vbar - Savox servos
              Logo 550sx - Edge 553s, Turnigy 100LV - Scorpion 4025-1100 - Mini Vbar - Futaba 451/251s
              Blade 130X moneypit shelved

              Comment


              • #8
                Right. Having looked into it, it makes sense that the tail 'thrust' is causing this issue.

                On another forum, it's suggested that there is no piro compensation built into the FBL system on the 130X, probably because it would affect the 3D performance of the heli detrimentally.

                They suggest that it is indeed necessary to give a little forward cyclic on a ACW piro and back cyclic during a CW piro to keep the rotor disc level. (I think I have got that the right way round)

                I guess it'll keep me on my toes! It's good to know that it's not a centre of gravity problem, but inherent in the system, and that I just have to get used to it. I like to know that something is considered 'normal' or 'expected' when flying before I commit to developing habits.

                I believe that the Vbar has piro compensation built in - I was assuming that the scaled-up weight issues may make it less apparent, and perhaps this would be the case, but the compensation takes it out of the equation completely. That is why I was noticing the difference between the two helis, which flagged the issue up with me in the first place!

                Hope the above makes sense!

                The above issue may also explain why some of us have trouble with ACW circuits compared with CW circuits. It's not just that we learned on before the other!
                Raptor G4 - Radix 690s, OS 91HZ, Spartan Vortex v3, MKS HV servos, OptiFuel 20%
                Logo 600sx - Edge 603s, Turnigy 120HV - Scorpion 4035-500 - Mini Vbar - Savox servos
                Logo 550sx - Edge 553s, Turnigy 100LV - Scorpion 4025-1100 - Mini Vbar - Futaba 451/251s
                Blade 130X moneypit shelved

                Comment


                • #9
                  Isn't this a normal characteristic of ALL Blade Micro AS3X Heli's? I've had to compensate piro's on my mSRX, 130X and nano CPX? I just got used to it
                  SAB MiniComet, Align T-Rex 500L Dominator, T-Rex 450 Pro V2, T-Rex 150 DFC, 130X, mSRX, Nano CPX BL, Nano QX, Align GPro, Mini VBar, DX8

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    You might want to check the blades are level with each other @ 0% pitch. All the blade micros have the same problem in that 1 blade is off from the other. Flip 1 round in the grip, set collective to 0 and fold blades tip to tip. Probably 1 is off, then sub trim pitch till level and try again. Should help.
                    sigpic
                    7HV Kosmik 200 cool Neo BL9180 BL9188 pyro 750/56 comp
                    6HV ultimate Helijive120 SK540 BLS351 BLS251
                    Goblin 500 SK540 jive 100lv
                    HD 500 SK540 jive 80 lv
                    WARP 360 KOBY 55 SK720 MKS92a MKS95i
                    Oxy 3 SK540 minijazz20





                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X