Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trex 700L TOP & 700xn don't feel the same

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Grumpy View Post
    I've never owned a 700 nitro.. So for the average 700 nitro what would a typical fuelled flying weight be?

    A 700 electric can be build under 5Kg, so is weight really a fundamental and unavoidable difference? I'd be surprised if an average 700 nitro is very significantly lighter than a 700 electric that's been built with an eye on weight.

    Hi Grumpy

    your right, 5kg is an easy weight to achieve on a 700E, and I would say that’s a similar weight to a nitro with half tank of fuel. They fly totally different though with the same head speed. Things are slower with the nitro. You push the model through manoeuvres instead of holding it back as I find with an E. To get any where near the same feel I would back off the head speed on the E 18-1850rpm and have to drop down to 4000mah packs dropping the weight significantly.
    360 RC Technologies and Optipower

    Comment


    • #17
      I tried some lower head speeds last night around 1900 - 1950, ill give 1800 - 1900 a go tonight.

      It was 2200.

      I'll try my 3300 packs instead of my 5000 as well and see it that helps.

      I doubled checked the vortex settings as well and they are as similar as they can be.
      Oxy 2 - Spartan VX1n
      Trex 700XN - Spartan VX1n

      Trex 700N DTS - Spartan VX1n
      Logo 690SX - Spartan VX1e
      780L Top - VBar Neo
      2 x 700L Top - Spartan VX1n
      Logo 550SX - Spartan VX1n

      Goblin 570 (6s) - Spartan VX1n
      Trex 550E Pro DFC - Spartan VX1n
      Trex 450L Dominator (6s) - Spartan VX1n
      Trex 450 Plus DFC - Spartan VX1n

      Jeti DS14 BK edition
      DX9
      Pheonix R/C
      AccuRC
      neXt

      Comment


      • #18
        Anything stopping you putting in a smaller motor to cut available peak power, save 100 grams in weight there. Run a lower headspeed and lighter batteries? It’s only in the last couple of years that monster power has become the norm.
        TDR (awesome machine) and TDF (almost built)
        Strike7
        SAB Kraken 700 & 580, G570KSE, G420, Buddy 380
        XK-K110 x4
        Futaba 18SZ
        Member of the MKHELI Club

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by chrisleematt21 View Post
          I tried some lower head speeds last night around 1900 - 1950, ill give 1800 - 1900 a go tonight.

          It was 2200.

          I'll try my 3300 packs instead of my 5000 as well and see it that helps.

          I doubled checked the vortex settings as well and they are as similar as they can be.


          Be interesting to
          see what you feel doing this.
          Keep us posted.
          360 RC Technologies and Optipower

          Comment


          • #20
            I tried 1800 to 2200 at intervals of 50, I also tried the smaller 3300 packs.

            anything below 1950 seemed rather hard work for me to tic toc, it felt best around 2150 - 2200.

            I didn't notice much of a difference with the lighter packs.

            I think this "Things are slower with the nitro. You push the model through manoeuvres instead of holding it back as I find with an E." is spot on, after reading it, it makes sense.

            I'll just have to learn to fly better!!

            Oxy 2 - Spartan VX1n
            Trex 700XN - Spartan VX1n

            Trex 700N DTS - Spartan VX1n
            Logo 690SX - Spartan VX1e
            780L Top - VBar Neo
            2 x 700L Top - Spartan VX1n
            Logo 550SX - Spartan VX1n

            Goblin 570 (6s) - Spartan VX1n
            Trex 550E Pro DFC - Spartan VX1n
            Trex 450L Dominator (6s) - Spartan VX1n
            Trex 450 Plus DFC - Spartan VX1n

            Jeti DS14 BK edition
            DX9
            Pheonix R/C
            AccuRC
            neXt

            Comment


            • #21
              As someone with no real nitro flying experience I'm really struggling to understand how if the helis are similar weight, run similar RPM, have overall similar airframe geometry and FBL/electronics setup.. that they wouldn't fly in a very similar way
              I do understand that a nitro engine has less torque and power, so might bog under hard collective/cyclic input, but how that can be a 'good thing' is also hard to fathom.

              Maybe I need to fly a nitro to get to the bottom of it
              Goblin Kraken, SoXos Strike 7, XLPower Specter, Goblin Black Thunder T, Goblin 700 Speed, Goblin 770 Comp Carbon, Trex 700X, Kasama Dune, Henseleit TDR

              Comment


              • #22
                In theory it should be possible to have an algorithm in the ESC that would simulate the response of a nitro engine, the power and torque curves, brake effect of compression etc.

                The inertia will be different between a spinning motor can and the nitro engine crank and clutch, fan, etc. It's hard to say how much that comes into play.


                Originally posted by Grumpy View Post
                As someone with no real nitro flying experience I'm really struggling to understand how if the helis are similar weight, run similar RPM, have overall similar airframe geometry and FBL/electronics setup.. that they wouldn't fly in a very similar way
                I do understand that a nitro engine has less torque and power, so might bog under hard collective/cyclic input, but how that can be a 'good thing' is also hard to fathom.

                Maybe I need to fly a nitro to get to the bottom of it
                Last edited by trillian; 17-05-2019, 12:48 PM.
                Kasama, Minicopter, Henseleit, JR, Shape, Beam
                Robbe, RMJ Raptor gasser, powered by
                Spartan, Spirit, BeastX, Kontronik, CY Total-G, DX8

                member of Epsom Downs and Bloobird clubs
                Proud recipient of 7 EGS! and a platinum star

                Comment


                • #23
                  Grumpy

                  Yeah, you need a nitro :-)
                  360 RC Technologies and Optipower

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I'm with Andy, you need a nitro in your life
                    Humble owner of 7 Eddie Gold Stars and Ex - member of Mk Heli Club
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by waveydavey View Post
                      I'm with Andy, you need a nitro in your life
                      ... Or petrol. 'Gives you more of what you get with nitro because you have an even bigger lump of hot metal that makes noise.
                      Kasama, Minicopter, Henseleit, JR, Shape, Beam
                      Robbe, RMJ Raptor gasser, powered by
                      Spartan, Spirit, BeastX, Kontronik, CY Total-G, DX8

                      member of Epsom Downs and Bloobird clubs
                      Proud recipient of 7 EGS! and a platinum star

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Too noisy and very sloooooowwwwwww
                        Humble owner of 7 Eddie Gold Stars and Ex - member of Mk Heli Club
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by waveydavey View Post
                          Too noisy and very sloooooowwwwwww
                          Noisy yes, not necessarily slow: (yeah, it's not 'Tereq smacking a Black Thunder' fast, but still... not too shabby)

                          Last edited by trillian; 17-05-2019, 07:48 PM.
                          Kasama, Minicopter, Henseleit, JR, Shape, Beam
                          Robbe, RMJ Raptor gasser, powered by
                          Spartan, Spirit, BeastX, Kontronik, CY Total-G, DX8

                          member of Epsom Downs and Bloobird clubs
                          Proud recipient of 7 EGS! and a platinum star

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Yup, too noisy and too slow

                            You can hear and see Tim nursing it through everything Sheryl, I've got a great use for that instead of getting the pikeys in to cut my hedge.........
                            Humble owner of 7 Eddie Gold Stars and Ex - member of Mk Heli Club
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              the fossil that stayed with nitro must have been right as now the electric pilots are chasing to get the electric models flying like a nitro

                              will we next see the return of the flybar ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??//
                              Hirobo Turbulence D3
                              a bunch of bls servo's and a 701 gyro
                              Powered by an OS91 hz and a MP2
                              Winner of the LHC Scale Cup 2011

                              1/4 scale Vario Bell 47 G3
                              1/3 scale Vario R22
                              2012 LHC Scale Cup Judge
                              member of save the flybar foundation
                              www.alcesterhelicopterclub.bmfa.org
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X