Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trex 700L TOP & 700xn don't feel the same

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Trex 700L TOP & 700xn don't feel the same

    I have a Trex 700L TOP with a VX1n and a Trex 700xn with a VX1n.

    Both were new, built by me, setup by me, and are setup as similar as possible (head speeds are different).
    They are running very similar servos, I believe they are similar weights, but would need to check.

    The 700xn flys a lot nicer, it always has, but i'm not entirely sure why!
    Everything is easier, smoother and more precise than with the 700L.

    Any ideas?
    Oxy 2 - Spartan VX1n
    Trex 700XN - Spartan VX1n

    Trex 700N DTS - Spartan VX1n
    Logo 690SX - Spartan VX1e
    780L Top - VBar Neo
    2 x 700L Top - Spartan VX1n
    Logo 550SX - Spartan VX1n

    Goblin 570 (6s) - Spartan VX1n
    Trex 550E Pro DFC - Spartan VX1n
    Trex 450L Dominator (6s) - Spartan VX1n
    Trex 450 Plus DFC - Spartan VX1n

    Jeti DS14 BK edition
    DX9
    Pheonix R/C
    AccuRC
    neXt


  • #2
    Headspeed makes a big difference it could be that the headspeed you have on the XN suits your style better. Try running the L at similar headspeed to the XN.
    Goblin Kraken, SoXos Strike 7, XLPower Specter, Goblin Black Thunder T, Goblin 700 Speed, Goblin 770 Comp Carbon, Trex 700X, Kasama Dune, Henseleit TDR

    Comment


    • #3
      I'll give it a go, be nice if its that simple
      Oxy 2 - Spartan VX1n
      Trex 700XN - Spartan VX1n

      Trex 700N DTS - Spartan VX1n
      Logo 690SX - Spartan VX1e
      780L Top - VBar Neo
      2 x 700L Top - Spartan VX1n
      Logo 550SX - Spartan VX1n

      Goblin 570 (6s) - Spartan VX1n
      Trex 550E Pro DFC - Spartan VX1n
      Trex 450L Dominator (6s) - Spartan VX1n
      Trex 450 Plus DFC - Spartan VX1n

      Jeti DS14 BK edition
      DX9
      Pheonix R/C
      AccuRC
      neXt

      Comment


      • #4
        My models have always been the same. A lighter feeling more precise on the nitro, even though both models E and N set up similar. I’ve been trying for years to get my 700e’s to fly like 700n’s...I can conclude it’s just not possible.��
        360 RC Technologies and Optipower

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by anjki View Post
          My models have always been the same. A lighter feeling more precise on the nitro, even though both models E and N set up similar. I’ve been trying for years to get my 700e’s to fly like 700n’s...I can conclude it’s just not possible.��
          That will be a tad disappointing as I Kin' hate nitros! (well when they go wrong )

          I will play with the head speeds tonight and see what occurs, I did see a thread on heli freak and someone has both the 700l and the 700x and it was about 400g lighter (I think that makes it similar to the 70xn), could weight also be part of it? or doesn't it make much difference?
          Oxy 2 - Spartan VX1n
          Trex 700XN - Spartan VX1n

          Trex 700N DTS - Spartan VX1n
          Logo 690SX - Spartan VX1e
          780L Top - VBar Neo
          2 x 700L Top - Spartan VX1n
          Logo 550SX - Spartan VX1n

          Goblin 570 (6s) - Spartan VX1n
          Trex 550E Pro DFC - Spartan VX1n
          Trex 450L Dominator (6s) - Spartan VX1n
          Trex 450 Plus DFC - Spartan VX1n

          Jeti DS14 BK edition
          DX9
          Pheonix R/C
          AccuRC
          neXt

          Comment


          • #6
            Weight will definitely make a difference, and also how the weight is distributed. The closer the mass is to the rotor disc and the main shaft, the less inertia it will exert when changing directions.

            I assume you have the same blades on them?


            Originally posted by chrisleematt21 View Post
            That will be a tad disappointing as I Kin' hate nitros! (well when they go wrong )

            I will play with the head speeds tonight and see what occurs, I did see a thread on heli freak and someone has both the 700l and the 700x and it was about 400g lighter (I think that makes it similar to the 70xn), could weight also be part of it? or doesn't it make much difference?
            Kasama, Minicopter, Henseleit, JR, Shape, Beam
            Robbe, RMJ Raptor gasser, powered by
            Spartan, Spirit, BeastX, Kontronik, CY Total-G, DX8

            member of Epsom Downs and Bloobird clubs
            Proud recipient of 7 EGS! and a platinum star

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by trillian View Post
              Weight will definitely make a difference, and also how the weight is distributed. The closer the mass is to the rotor disc and the main shaft, the less inertia it will exert when changing directions.

              I assume you have the same blades on them?
              Yeah, both are using the align 700mm blades.
              Oxy 2 - Spartan VX1n
              Trex 700XN - Spartan VX1n

              Trex 700N DTS - Spartan VX1n
              Logo 690SX - Spartan VX1e
              780L Top - VBar Neo
              2 x 700L Top - Spartan VX1n
              Logo 550SX - Spartan VX1n

              Goblin 570 (6s) - Spartan VX1n
              Trex 550E Pro DFC - Spartan VX1n
              Trex 450L Dominator (6s) - Spartan VX1n
              Trex 450 Plus DFC - Spartan VX1n

              Jeti DS14 BK edition
              DX9
              Pheonix R/C
              AccuRC
              neXt

              Comment


              • #8
                Does the L have those angled grip arms like the XN ? I really wouldn't think that alone would make a big difference but it could change the geometry a bit.
                Kasama, Minicopter, Henseleit, JR, Shape, Beam
                Robbe, RMJ Raptor gasser, powered by
                Spartan, Spirit, BeastX, Kontronik, CY Total-G, DX8

                member of Epsom Downs and Bloobird clubs
                Proud recipient of 7 EGS! and a platinum star

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by trillian View Post
                  Does the L have those angled grip arms like the XN ? I really wouldn't think that alone would make a big difference but it could change the geometry a bit.
                  I've run both the standard and the angled grip arms on my 700X and I can detect no difference in flight. The angled one do work in removing differential in + and - collective travel, but with the stock arms that can be dialled out in FBL setup anyway.
                  Goblin Kraken, SoXos Strike 7, XLPower Specter, Goblin Black Thunder T, Goblin 700 Speed, Goblin 770 Comp Carbon, Trex 700X, Kasama Dune, Henseleit TDR

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Chris, I can vouch for exactly what Andy says above. I've watched Andy fly at the club and in comps and he has always flown N's better than E's. The head unloads differently so it appears smoother, it's a little heavier to start with and gets lighter as it goes on, the power is more progressive so you find yourself flying differently and nursing the engine on feel rather than endless punch. I'll also add that Duncan flys an N better than he does an E. Of course only the opinion of a ham fisted Geordie

                    The closest Andy got an N looking like an E was a Logo 600 and the famous/infamous Kylie flight at the 3D Champs
                    Humble owner of 7 Eddie Gold Stars and Ex - member of Mk Heli Club
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Chris
                      If you prefer the way the nitros feel, I’ve found reducing both weight and head speed on the E’s will help.
                      Disk Loading comes down and on a calm day I feel they are unbeatable, dare I say as nice as a nitro 700 to fly!
                      The problem is when it’s windy the lighter weight E become’s hard work and very inaccurate to fly.
                      This is when the standard 5kg plus 700e comes into its own. I’ve now learnt to enjoy the light weight E‘s when calm and fly a more out the box type 700 with 5000mah plus packs when it’s any more than calm.
                      I enjoyed the nitro and the tuning/tinkering for years but it’s just not what I want any more, so I’m learning to live with the compromise.
                      360 RC Technologies and Optipower

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        you cant change physics ! a nitro will always feel lighter than an electric,... its about disc loading , inertia and the power units are totally different in the way they both accept load and recover from it !...... I gave up flying nitro as I compete,... its too susceptible to atmospheric change, and can be unreliable,.....enjoy them For their differences xxxx

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I've never owned a 700 nitro.. So for the average 700 nitro what would a typical fuelled flying weight be?

                          A 700 electric can be build under 5Kg, so is weight really a fundamental and unavoidable difference? I'd be surprised if an average 700 nitro is very significantly lighter than a 700 electric that's been built with an eye on weight.
                          Last edited by Grumpy; 16-05-2019, 08:39 AM.
                          Goblin Kraken, SoXos Strike 7, XLPower Specter, Goblin Black Thunder T, Goblin 700 Speed, Goblin 770 Comp Carbon, Trex 700X, Kasama Dune, Henseleit TDR

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Electric helis can be setup way lighter than nitro because you have so much potential to vary the pack size. So the subjective feel has more to do with the power delivery.


                            Originally posted by Grumpy View Post
                            I've never owned a 700 nitro.. So for the average 700 nitro what would a typical fuelled flying weight be?

                            A 700 electric can be build under 5Kg, so is weight really a fundamental and unavoidable difference? I'd be surprised if an average 700 nitro is very significantly lighter than a 700 electric that's been built with an eye on weight.
                            Kasama, Minicopter, Henseleit, JR, Shape, Beam
                            Robbe, RMJ Raptor gasser, powered by
                            Spartan, Spirit, BeastX, Kontronik, CY Total-G, DX8

                            member of Epsom Downs and Bloobird clubs
                            Proud recipient of 7 EGS! and a platinum star

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              An interesting view on the above

                              http://www.rcheliaddict.co.uk/main-d...ngly-good.html

                              I think when most of us think 700e we think of comps/tareq esq flyers so 2x5000mah high C rated probably opti batteries. of course there are people who run single 6s or twin 2800s but "normal" is 2x5000 ish batts.

                              It does not seem like it should be impossible to get an "e" to fly exactly like an "n" (the other way around would be challenging as N does not have the horses "E" does) unless the delivery of power is the difference - clutch/gov vs e-gov?


                              Align 700n :: Synergy 766 :: US Coastguard (Scale) :: Logo 550 :: Oxy 2 :: Blade 180cfx :: Blade 130x

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X