Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Occupation. What do you do.??

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I left school and home in the middle of the 80s recession so took what I could. After 3 years getting paid peanuts in a motorbike shop in Coventry, I moved Sarf and got a job re-wiring old vending machines in a factory. Worked up through prototyping into test as SMT took the fun out of being a wireman. One redundancy later I landed a fantastic job flying around the World, approval testing digital trunk interface cards that fitted inside a Netware server for telemedia applications. Highlights included, appearing on a tacky Russian TV game show and trying my hand at impersonating the dulcet tones of a sexy female German astrologist, a few minutes before an ad went out on TV - Sinsie Crabz! Best job I ever had, but the months away threatened to ruin my relationship.

    So I moved onto contracting in commercial IT. 1997 I went freelance and I am still doing that now. Which is interestingly pretty close to what I told the careers bloke I was going to do when I left school.
    Call me Matt

    Comment


    • [quote=Kwickkwack;564992]Started working for a local company 26 years ago as an on site engine (diesel/petrol engines) as the saying goes
      "I liked it so much I bought the company"
      In 2008 myself and another partner purchased the company, so you could argue I am self employed :)[/quote]

      Sorry Rob, what was your job? Engineer?


      I always wondered who did the maintenance work for on-site generators etc (probably just reading your message totally wrong).

      Comment


      • [quote=POLAR BEAR;565708]Boat builder.[/quote]

        I am guessing Fairline then??
        Rob
        TDR (in progress)
        SAB Goblin 700
        Vibe 90SG Vibe 500E
        Trex 700 VBar, Trex 700 BeastX
        Trex 600FBL, Trex 600NP, Trex 450Pro
        Kalt Baron30
        sigpicproud owner of Four Eddie Gold Stars

        Comment


        • [quote=LaurenceGough;565858]Sorry Rob, what was your job? Engineer?


          I always wondered who did the maintenance work for on-site generators etc (probably just reading your message totally wrong).[/quote]

          Yes, I trained as a diesel fitter, then moved into a local company initially working mostly on boat engines, but developed into the industrial and commercial market as well, we have manufactured, sold and maintained generators along side the marine leisure and commercial business

          [url=http://www.volspec.co.uk]Marine Engineers, Industrial Engineers, Spares, Service, Volvo Penta Dealer, Volspec[/url] :)
          Rob
          TDR (in progress)
          SAB Goblin 700
          Vibe 90SG Vibe 500E
          Trex 700 VBar, Trex 700 BeastX
          Trex 600FBL, Trex 600NP, Trex 450Pro
          Kalt Baron30
          sigpicproud owner of Four Eddie Gold Stars

          Comment


          • I work for local council as a Graphic Designer, Illustrator/artist, Photographer and a bit of web design at home for fun.

            Not good at the moment as redundancies before Christmas by the looks of things, fingers crossed.

            Phil

            Phil's little world

            Mikado 500se - Align T-Rex 450L Dominator 6S - E-Flite Blade 350 QX2

            Comment


            • Electrical Engineer in a worldwide pharmaceuticals firm & DJ lol
              It's all about the size of your chopper...

              Comment


              • I am at work at the moment...........for the past 11 years I have been a Tech at the Royal Opera House,Covent Garden.
                I work in the lighting dept as a Followspot Op.
                I basically reside in the roof of said opera house and shine a very large and powerful torch(which has a laser sight) at various Singists and dancists as they sing and dance around the stage.
                Together with 2 colleagues I also have responsibility for focussing the lamps in the Front of House lighting rig.
                The hours are long,the shift pattern ludicrous but the wonga is ok( I can afford helis......whoopeeeeeeee!) and it is a strangely satisfying job when it all comes together.

                I am lucky that I have a couple of very large spaces to fly in here at work,when they are not full of ballerinas.....bless'em.
                Hence most of my flying is done there during breaks and slack time

                Prior to that I used to build Rock Shows as a freelance stagehand working for an agency called Stage Miracles......a very fine bunch of gents indeed.

                Built shows for Pink Floyd(my Floyd Local Crew T shirts are my most prized possessions) Simple Minds,REM,ZZ TOP,Metallica,The Rolling Stones and lord knows who else.
                40 foot Truck unloading a speciality.
                If anyone is in London and fancies a tour of the Opera House PM me and I will see what I can sort out.
                It really is a mad place to work.
                ChickenHawk out>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:gnorsi:
                CCRAP

                Clapham Common Radio Air Pilots
                'May the Farce be with you'
                You need no wings.........just 'set your mind to fly'

                Comment


                • At the moment I practice inverted piros and piro tic toc as my occupation lol back to job hunting :-) shame my 550s grounded, the weather has been great this week.
                  2nd place sports class, Helifest 2015
                  Proud member of Frontier RC Association

                  Gaui X7 Formula Vbar
                  500 Pro Vbar
                  Trex 450 L Dominator Vbar
                  Oxy 3 Kbar

                  Comment


                  • [quote=DRM Black7;566098]At the moment I practice piro tic toc [/quote]


                    that's a bloody hard move. I've tried on the sim & i cannot for the life of me figure out the stick timing :confused::(
                    Yes the big sigpic is coming back

                    Comment


                    • Most of you know my occupation by now - but i'll mention it anyway.

                      My brother and I set up Robo Challenge LTD about 4 years back, after being involved in the Robot Wars Sport for many years.

                      We designed and built the only arena in the UK capable of containing the most powerfull of robot's, and so hold all the major championships around the UK and Europe.
                      Our main part of the company is teaching Key learning skills and specific parts of the school curriculum through building these combat robot's. It's proven a huge success in schools all around the UK, including our corporate events.

                      I now do alot of work for TV show's, mainly the Gadget Show on Channel 5 - Building props and robot's for the show. Since my work with them, I am now contracted as a Technical consultant for another major TV show to be shown next year.

                      Due to our success on the Gadget show in March this year, we were contacted about starting up Robo Challenge in the UAE - which is now turning into a great success. We came back from our first show over there earlier this week, and the prospects of our new company is looking very promising.

                      I am also in the process of starting a new smaller scale company with my older brother - He is a proffesional photographer, specialising in HD video from SLR camera's. Combining his video skills and my flying, we figures it was worth a shot at HD aeriel photography. We will find out how that goes soon as our first big jobs are already lined up :cheers2:.

                      Gareth.... I will contact you soon about your gear shifter, such a shame i didnt know sooner as I have recently used the Kliktronic system on my Gadget Show top fuel dragster!
                      Sponsored by - Align - CSM Gyro's - OptiFuel/OptiPower - Kontronik Drives UK
                      Align 700E DFC
                      www.robochallenge.co.uk

                      Comment


                      • I'm pritty boaring in comparisent to some people's . I'm a senior panel tech for a large bodyshop in warrington :)
                        Cheers Al

                        Cosworth, making supercar owners look like co*ks since 1986

                        Comment


                        • [quote=Kwickkwack;565888]I am guessing Fairline then??[/quote]
                          Yep:cheers2:

                          Comment


                          • I'm a working foreman for a firm that does office fitouts, me and one other do all the joinery; partitioning, suspended ceilings, kitchens etc and have subbies come in to do the decorating and the mechanical and electrical. Pay is Ok, I never work away and am usually home before 5pm depending on where the job is. I do work about a 1/3 of weekends though.

                            Comment


                            • [quote=Grant_beltcp;566160]...mainly the Gadget Show on Channel 5[/quote]

                              Can ya get us some "candid" shots of Suzie and Pollyana?

                              :D

                              I love the UAE. My son was born in Abu Dhabi.
                              Martin

                              Most of the Aligns, fair few Spektrum bits, bunch of Align & HiTec servos, OBE, VD & Bar.

                              Comment


                              • [quote=Grant_beltcp;566160]Most of you know my occupation by now - but i'll mention it anyway.

                                My brother and I set up Robo Challenge LTD about 4 years back, after being involved in the Robot Wars Sport for many years.

                                We designed and built the only arena in the UK capable of containing the most powerfull of robot's, and so hold all the major championships around the UK and Europe.
                                Our main part of the company is teaching Key learning skills and specific parts of the school curriculum through building these combat robot's. It's proven a huge success in schools all around the UK, including our corporate events.

                                I now do alot of work for TV show's, mainly the Gadget Show on Channel 5 - Building props and robot's for the show. Since my work with them, I am now contracted as a Technical consultant for another major TV show to be shown next year.

                                Due to our success on the Gadget show in March this year, we were contacted about starting up Robo Challenge in the UAE - which is now turning into a great success. We came back from our first show over there earlier this week, and the prospects of our new company is looking very promising.

                                I am also in the process of starting a new smaller scale company with my older brother - He is a proffesional photographer, specialising in HD video from SLR camera's. Combining his video skills and my flying, we figures it was worth a shot at HD aeriel photography. We will find out how that goes soon as our first big jobs are already lined up :cheers2:.

                                Gareth.... I will contact you soon about your gear shifter, such a shame i didnt know sooner as I have recently used the Kliktronic system on my Gadget Show top fuel dragster![/quote]


                                hmm?? You may know Robbin Bennett then?? (Team smidsy) & mini titan flyer

                                Sorry couldn't be arsed to edit down your quote
                                Last edited by p4ddy; 25-11-2010, 07:26 PM.
                                Yes the big sigpic is coming back

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X