Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many amps will all the electrics draw?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How many amps will all the electrics draw?

    How much are you drawing with a typical setup like this?

    AR7200BX
    3x DS620
    1x DS650

    The reason I'm asking is sizing BEC or LiFe to help me decide how to set a machine up. Don't want to overload a BEC or kill a LiFe.
    Just a trusty rusty Raptor E550 these days

  • #2
    5-10A continuous with spikes up to 15-20A for any type of flying.

    Joe
    Invertix 400
    Vortex 285
    TBS Discovery Endurance
    X4 II
    Schluter Champion Longranger
    G4 E720
    G4 E720 Big AIR edition
    Goblin Urukay super slow
    Goblin 700 KSE Slow
    Goblin 700 KSE Fast
    Srimok Faifa
    Spectra G
    Synergy 766
    I'm not controlling it, just preventing it from crashing
    http://mangled-rc.com/

    Comment


    • #3
      Life will be no problem. I amusing them with Align servos all round on Trex 550E, Trex 600E, Logo 600 3D and Goblin 700.
      Been there and done that, but never stop learning.
      Now too many Helis to mention?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by JoeBailey View Post
        5-10A continuous with spikes up to 15-20A for any type of flying.

        Joe
        Based on what? I looked for specs but nothing about amp draw

        Originally posted by johnsandywhite View Post
        Life will be no problem. I amusing them with Align servos all round on Trex 550E, Trex 600E, Logo 600 3D and Goblin 700.
        Wondered whether to run both, just in case.
        Just a trusty rusty Raptor E550 these days

        Comment


        • #5
          8 Amp + BEC... based on I have an 8 Amp BEC powering a similar setup on one of my 700s. I calculated its needs when I built it, then allowed a bit of headroom and I wouldn't like to go any lower
          Last edited by Gixxer; 26-09-2012, 05:59 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Anything less causes Helicopter ground interface.

            Western robotics rating, kontronic bec rating, castle bec rating, fromeco bec ratings. Etc. All the high end equipment has those specs as a minimum.

            The align servos are very power hungry and will draw big spikes when flying, plus fbl helis use lots more current due to the servos doing both flight and stabilisation duties.
            Invertix 400
            Vortex 285
            TBS Discovery Endurance
            X4 II
            Schluter Champion Longranger
            G4 E720
            G4 E720 Big AIR edition
            Goblin Urukay super slow
            Goblin 700 KSE Slow
            Goblin 700 KSE Fast
            Srimok Faifa
            Spectra G
            Synergy 766
            I'm not controlling it, just preventing it from crashing
            http://mangled-rc.com/

            Comment


            • #7
              Does anyone else run BEC and Lipo/life just in case?
              I know 1 forum member wishes he had the other week. He does now. Hi SB
              Just a trusty rusty Raptor E550 these days

              Comment


              • #8
                It's not easy. I would measure it. Digital servos do take a lot when working hard so the average consumption will depend on the way you fly and the tightness of the linkages. You also have to decide what to do if the servo can't reach the demanded position. The current demand can be large enough to break the servo. MKS advise using separate current limiters for each servo. Some servos take less current when stalled.
                Flasher 450 Sport. Assan GA250 with 520 tail servo, MKS DS450 cyclic.
                Multiplex Cockpit Tx, DX7, DX6i
                Blade 130-X, MSR, MSRX
                Phoenix Sim

                Comment


                • #9
                  im using all align servos, Vbar and a switchglo off of a Align 2in1 no probs rated at 6a continous
                  Chris 'CHUNK' Newby
                  Trex 700E DFC_Align BL800MX_CC160HV_BL700H_BL750H_Spartan VX1n_Haiyin 5000mAh 12s
                  Trex 700E DFC_Align BL800MX_CC160HV_BL700H_BL750H_Spartan VX1n_Haiyin 5000mAh 12s
                  NAHC-Newton Abbot Heli Club, check out the website at WWW.NAheliclub.org.uk

                  ALIGN-TREX.CO.UK team pilot
                  LYNX team pilot
                  SPARTAN team pilot
                  Dx18

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    If you use a Life and BEC with less voltage then the LiFe.
                    Am I right in thinking the BEC will be "on demand" so only if the battery voltage drops below the supplied BEC votage, battery failure, or during high power demands as voltage troughs?
                    Just a trusty rusty Raptor E550 these days

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by chris jones2.4 View Post
                      im using all align servos, Vbar and a switchglo off of a Align 2in1 no probs rated at 6a continous
                      Hey Chris.

                      Then you're being lucky so far buddy, as over on HF some have been able to invoke brownouts on the bench by cycling the servos with no load while using Align 2in1's. Being honest there are some which get away with using a low rated BEC without issue, but its marginal at 6 amps so risky.

                      Each servo is capable of drawing 2+ amps and we have 4~5 depending on model, plus 3 gyros on an FBL setup all moving the servos as well as your piloted commands and flight loads placed on the servos which is now more direct with no mechanical advantage again depending on model.
                      Even for 600 class FBL machines I always advise a good regulator (or LiFe) capable of 8 amps+ to safe guard the model.
                      .
                      Ian Contessa
                      Robbe SchluterUK / Midland Helicopters / Align



                      Coolice Power Supplies
                      Coolice Custom Built Charge Case's

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by BenScoobert View Post
                        If you use a Life and BEC with less voltage then the LiFe.
                        Am I right in thinking the BEC will be "on demand" so only if the battery voltage drops below the supplied BEC votage, battery failure, or during high power demands as voltage troughs?
                        Hey buddy.

                        Unless you are using a Kontronik and going to fit a buffer pack, I think in order to run a desperate BEC and a LiFe redundancy pack you'd need some form of electronics linking it all together. Reason being the BEC might not take to kindly to being fed voltage from another source, I've read of problems where fliers have forgot to opto-isolate the ESC's BEC power supply by removing the red wire from the Rx plug and have fired components due to their being two sources of power supply into the radio system.

                        To save added wiring and another thing to go wrong I'd stick to either a good LiFe pack or a regulator and LiPo setup.
                        .
                        Ian Contessa
                        Robbe SchluterUK / Midland Helicopters / Align



                        Coolice Power Supplies
                        Coolice Custom Built Charge Case's

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I was running a 5A BEC on the ground with my FBL 550 and the sat rxs started flashing as soon as I waggled the stick - needless to say I got rid of that BEC quickly! I now use LiFe packs and all is well.
                          Raptor 90 SE FBL e-conversion, Raptor E720, Raptor E820, Synergy E7, Goblin 700 & TREX 700N

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by coolice View Post
                            Hey buddy.

                            Unless you are using a Kontronik and going to fit a buffer pack, I think in order to run a desperate BEC and a LiFe redundancy pack you'd need some form of electronics linking it all together. Reason being the BEC might not take to kindly to being fed voltage from another source, I've read of problems where fliers have forgot to opto-isolate the ESC's BEC power supply by removing the red wire from the Rx plug and have fired components due to their being two sources of power supply into the radio system.

                            To save added wiring and another thing to go wrong I'd stick to either a good LiFe pack or a regulator and LiPo setup.
                            .
                            This BEC has 5,5V, 3A continous. 5A Peak. So I think it may just be best unplugged and tucked away then. I have run it before with a flybarred machine and a LiFe, no issues, but not drawing power like this fbl setup will.
                            Just a trusty rusty Raptor E550 these days

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by BenScoobert View Post
                              This BEC has 5,5V, 3A continous. 5A Peak. So I think it may just be best unplugged and tucked away then. I have run it before with a flybarred machine and a LiFe, no issues, but not drawing power like this fbl setup will.
                              Epiphany....How the feck could I do that? Maybe I need to be a guinea pig...
                              Just a trusty rusty Raptor E550 these days

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X