Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

130X selective over tail fins?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 130X selective over tail fins?

    Just changed my tail fin from this

    Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21366231729.025051.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	1913366

    To this

    Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21366231749.072677.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	1913367

    And heli went MENTAL!! Shook so hard it would barely fly. Put the old one back on back to rock solid again.

    Anyone else experienced this?


  • #2
    A resonant frequency - the 130 is known for it.
    Try balancing the tail blades, which is not trivial - plenty of stuff on the web.
    Make sure the TT drive rod is straight.
    Last edited by dillwhacker; 17-04-2013, 10:03 PM.
    Trev
    Lots of different things that fly

    And happy to have FOUR shiny EGS

    Comment


    • #3
      130X selective over tail fins?

      Originally posted by dillwhacker View Post
      A resonant frequency - the 130 is known for it.
      Didn't realise it'd be this picky, but hey, I'll just stick with my first choice.

      Comment


      • #4
        It's a picky little beggar the 130 TBH.
        People bounce them and think they have survived - often they haven't - the tail shaft is bent, feathering shaft bent, TT drive rod bent, boom split, fin split, blades cracked, gears stripped or the 'D' hole rounded out....
        Sure it still flies, but like a bag of poo till you spend a fortune replacing all the bits.
        Having said that, I still love mine!
        Trev
        Lots of different things that fly

        And happy to have FOUR shiny EGS

        Comment


        • #5
          130X selective over tail fins?

          I've balanced the blades with a bit of tape, ran it up with the blades off etc till I found the culprit! Just when I thought I'd started to know all its little ways it springs another on me!

          Ordered some Lynx tail blades too, the KBDD just seem a bit soft or is it just me?

          Like you said tho Dillwhacker, it takes some fettling, but it is great!! Must try to resist the KDE main blades.....MUST RESIST......!!!!!

          Comment


          • #6
            This the 130x I sold you Rob?
            TREX 700E DFC SK540

            TREX 550E AR7200BX

            Logo 400SE SK540

            Check Out My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/pocoyo2212?feature=mhee

            Comment


            • #7
              130X selective over tail fins?

              Originally posted by ghost2212 View Post
              This the 130x I sold you Rob?
              Yes Brett, I split the tail fin so purchased another as above. Got the same one on order now so should be sorted.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by BavarianRob View Post
                Yes Brett, I split the tail fin so purchased another as above. Got the same one on order now so should be sorted.
                Ah ok, you sure you didn't damage something else when you split the tail fin?

                Now you have a proper heli we could meet up to fly sometime if your interested?
                TREX 700E DFC SK540

                TREX 550E AR7200BX

                Logo 400SE SK540

                Check Out My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/pocoyo2212?feature=mhee

                Comment


                • #9
                  130X selective over tail fins?

                  Originally posted by ghost2212 View Post
                  Ah ok, you sure you didn't damage something else when you split the tail fin?

                  Now you have a proper heli we could meet up to fly sometime if your interested?
                  Hi Brett,
                  Did strip the D gear too (was desperate to give it a go in the wind and caught the tail on the drive like a donut!)

                  Completely forgot it was you that offered to meet up in my other thread!! Where do you normally fly? Let me know and we can get something sorted. Should be pretty good this weekend; wind supposed to drop on Friday!!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by BavarianRob View Post
                    Hi Brett,
                    Did strip the D gear too (was desperate to give it a go in the wind and caught the tail on the drive like a donut!)

                    Completely forgot it was you that offered to meet up in my other thread!! Where do you normally fly? Let me know and we can get something sorted. Should be pretty good this weekend; wind supposed to drop on Friday!!
                    I don't have a flying field yet, Got my Logo 400SE with me with two charged battery's(left my charger at home by accident when I returned to uni)

                    Was you hoping you could suggest somewhere to fly?

                    +1 on the weather looking good
                    TREX 700E DFC SK540

                    TREX 550E AR7200BX

                    Logo 400SE SK540

                    Check Out My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/pocoyo2212?feature=mhee

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      130X selective over tail fins?

                      There's a park/field just behind where I live (off Maxwell Drive) there's a couple of dog walkers now and again but it's pretty quiet for small stuff, should be ok for a couple of flights with your logo. I flew/crashed my 450pro there quite a bit last year with no problems.

                      Let me know what day time over the weekend and I can meet or pick you up if you like?

                      Field is here

                      Between Stewart Dr and Francis Dr Loughborough, Leicestershire LE11 5PT, UK

                      http://goo.gl/maps/l2FTp

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I was thinking of getting that tail fin. Not sure how much you know about resonance. The 130-X is a pain in that respect. It's basically a mass spring system thing. Just like a pendulum anything will vibrate or swing at a certain frequency. Cars are another example. On a car you have shock absorbers that take out some energy on each swing and damp down the response. The 130-X doesn't have any damping and something that seems to be driven by the rotor speed puts energy into the system. We seem to have various bits on the 130-X that vibrate at the same frequency as the rotor. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any damping and so energy gets put in at exactly the right time to make things swing a bit more. One way round it is to move through the resonant frequency as quickly as possible. Upping the throttle level in idle up may help although high pitch will drag the speed down again into the resonant range.

                        As the previous posts said, anything unbalanced will cause vibration, just have to get rid of them all. A tail made of something that is highly damped would help. Something that goes thud, rather than twang when you tweak it. I've though of making a shock absorber for mine. It's really good flying it in the garden when it's gusty though.
                        Flasher 450 Sport. Assan GA250 with 520 tail servo, MKS DS450 cyclic.
                        Multiplex Cockpit Tx, DX7, DX6i
                        Blade 130-X, MSR, MSRX
                        Phoenix Sim

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          130X selective over tail fins?

                          Hi CJ,
                          I couldn't get through the resonating frequency, it got worse around 60% throttle just as it took off and stayed shaking like a $hitting dog till I landed! Didn't expect a slightly different tail fin to make that much difference.

                          I know the little buzzing frequency you mention at spool up which they all do, but I've pretty much eliminated that with a bit of cello tape on the tail blades spooling up and adjusting it till I got it somewhere like.

                          Its great though, much better than sitting in front of the sim! Just need this bloody wind to die down! Gusts of 60mph forecast for tomorrow!!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Run it at 85% in idle up and get there as soon as possible. I just wait for the rotor to spin up at low throttle and then go straight to full. The normal throttle curve isn't that good. It's better to go to as high as you can from half throttle, so long as you don't leave it at half throttle if that's set to zero pitch. Not sure what the esc does if you do that, but there's not much point in keeping it there.
                            Flasher 450 Sport. Assan GA250 with 520 tail servo, MKS DS450 cyclic.
                            Multiplex Cockpit Tx, DX7, DX6i
                            Blade 130-X, MSR, MSRX
                            Phoenix Sim

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X