My 130X has never been able to hold the tail properly under extreme pitch changes, in such cases, I can get blow outs of nearly 180 degrees. I tried increasing the tail gain, but that didn't fix it. Since it has been a problem since day 1, I figured it wouldn't be that the tail servo needed a clean.
Anyway, I took it on holiday when I was away last week and I figured out the problem when I went to take off but got the tail blades caught on some grass.... the tail blades stayed still even though the main blades were still ramping up. I hit throttle hold and figured that I'd probably stripped at least one gear... but to my surprise, no gears had been stripped. Now, on my 130X, the C gear does not sit on the end of the torque tube as you would usually expect, but the torque tube goes through the C gear and makes contact with the tail spindle. Although I've always noticed it, I've never given much thought to it, until I realised why I have never stripped a gear... it is simply because the flat section on the C gear where the torque tube goes through it doesn't exist, therefore it can spin on the torque tube (although it is relatively tight so is OK for normal flight).
The interesting thing is, the torque tube is correctly seated in the B gear and there is no excess slack between the B gear and the tail boom holder. This suggests to me, that because the torque tube hits the spindle in the tail box that either the tail boom has been manufactured too short, or that the torque tube has been manufactured too long, resulting in the flat section of the C gear being snapped out during assembly.
To be fair, this defect probably saved me a fair few gears while I was learning basic flying since I crashed it a good number of times and never stripped any gears - so the defect doesn't upset me. Now that crashing is more of a rare occasion and that I'm trying to learn 3D flight, the fact that the C gear slipping under load is most likely causing the tail to blow out under more extreme changes in pitch.
Anyway, I'm going to change the boom, torque tube and C gear - hopefully that will mean no more crazy tail blow outs.
Anyway, I took it on holiday when I was away last week and I figured out the problem when I went to take off but got the tail blades caught on some grass.... the tail blades stayed still even though the main blades were still ramping up. I hit throttle hold and figured that I'd probably stripped at least one gear... but to my surprise, no gears had been stripped. Now, on my 130X, the C gear does not sit on the end of the torque tube as you would usually expect, but the torque tube goes through the C gear and makes contact with the tail spindle. Although I've always noticed it, I've never given much thought to it, until I realised why I have never stripped a gear... it is simply because the flat section on the C gear where the torque tube goes through it doesn't exist, therefore it can spin on the torque tube (although it is relatively tight so is OK for normal flight).
The interesting thing is, the torque tube is correctly seated in the B gear and there is no excess slack between the B gear and the tail boom holder. This suggests to me, that because the torque tube hits the spindle in the tail box that either the tail boom has been manufactured too short, or that the torque tube has been manufactured too long, resulting in the flat section of the C gear being snapped out during assembly.
To be fair, this defect probably saved me a fair few gears while I was learning basic flying since I crashed it a good number of times and never stripped any gears - so the defect doesn't upset me. Now that crashing is more of a rare occasion and that I'm trying to learn 3D flight, the fact that the C gear slipping under load is most likely causing the tail to blow out under more extreme changes in pitch.
Anyway, I'm going to change the boom, torque tube and C gear - hopefully that will mean no more crazy tail blow outs.
Comment