Just thought I'd pass this on to the community in case its of any help. I'm loving my 130x but thought I would do a couple of minor mods as per the forums (tail slider, metal crown gear, new o'rings on arms) and change the tail and main gears (I've had several crashes and with quick use of TH, I've come out of them with no issues but thought it best practice seeing as how it would be in bits anyway).
Without the main gear put back on, I span the blades and everything was 100% silky smooth. As soon as I popped the main gear back on and spun it up, I got this 'clicky' type of noise as the rotors went around. I checked the mesh with the engine and it was spot on but noticed that as I turned the gear, it would occasionally 'jump' just a tiny, tiny amount and 'click'. It did it at the same point on the engine gear each time so I popped the main gear off and spun the engine by hand. Smooth as silk. Taking a very (very!) close look I could see that one of the teeth looked to be ever-so-slightly out of alignment with the rest.
I'm waiting for a replacement gear from Midland and I'll report back when I try it, but take a look at the attached vid and if you hear the same type of noise, its most likely the same problem.
*EDIT* after trying a new pinion, I've concluded that this is just the way these small engines are made. Nothing to worry about and at speed, everything is smooth anyway. I guess its just down to the way the magnets are set out in the engine.
Without the main gear put back on, I span the blades and everything was 100% silky smooth. As soon as I popped the main gear back on and spun it up, I got this 'clicky' type of noise as the rotors went around. I checked the mesh with the engine and it was spot on but noticed that as I turned the gear, it would occasionally 'jump' just a tiny, tiny amount and 'click'. It did it at the same point on the engine gear each time so I popped the main gear off and spun the engine by hand. Smooth as silk. Taking a very (very!) close look I could see that one of the teeth looked to be ever-so-slightly out of alignment with the rest.
I'm waiting for a replacement gear from Midland and I'll report back when I try it, but take a look at the attached vid and if you hear the same type of noise, its most likely the same problem.
*EDIT* after trying a new pinion, I've concluded that this is just the way these small engines are made. Nothing to worry about and at speed, everything is smooth anyway. I guess its just down to the way the magnets are set out in the engine.