Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gens Ace 450 - I accidentally cut the wrapping...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Gens Ace 450 - I accidentally cut the wrapping...

    Ok, so I thought I would try and open up my battery to get the plates out. so far so good but the plates were attached tight. I decided to use a stanley knife to try and cut thru the glue but accidentally sliced thru the wrapping... how safe is this battery still? can I just tape it up? To cover the slit?
    There's no hissing and nothing weird happening...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8457.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	291.4 KB
ID:	1910468Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8458.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	1910469

  • #2
    I would say it's not worth the risk, so dispose of it.

    But others may say different.

    Comment


    • #3
      I'd like to continue working on it... but it's outside on the bbq just in case. it's got half a charge still.

      Comment


      • #4
        How much is it worth to you? How much does a fire cost?
        Mikes Place - Home of the golden dump.

        Sponsored by Elite Models.
        http://www.elitemodelsonline.co.uk/

        Comment


        • #5
          any cracklin noises or smoke or anything?
          Chris 'CHUNK' Newby
          Trex 700E DFC_Align BL800MX_CC160HV_BL700H_BL750H_Spartan VX1n_Haiyin 5000mAh 12s
          Trex 700E DFC_Align BL800MX_CC160HV_BL700H_BL750H_Spartan VX1n_Haiyin 5000mAh 12s
          NAHC-Newton Abbot Heli Club, check out the website at WWW.NAheliclub.org.uk

          ALIGN-TREX.CO.UK team pilot
          LYNX team pilot
          SPARTAN team pilot
          Dx18

          Comment


          • #6
            I would leave it to be honest, its only worth a few quid, not like a £100 6s pack.

            Not worth the risk of a fire, oh, and be more careful with the next one
            Kev




            Comment


            • #7
              Look it could be ok as you haven't shorted the plates. You could tape it up. I would bin it.
              Mikes Place - Home of the golden dump.

              Sponsored by Elite Models.
              http://www.elitemodelsonline.co.uk/

              Comment


              • #8
                No crackling and no smoke. I even smelled it and nothing apart from some slight smell but it could just be the insides.
                There's no heat neither.

                I feel bad chucking it away as it's not even done 10cycles and I know it's only £2.50 hence the experiment....
                I want to cut the wires tho before I chuck it away as I can still use the connectors. But how do I dispose of it? It's got half a charge still

                Comment


                • #9
                  Charge it up and stab it with a rusty nail,there,thats £2.50's worth of fun
                  T- rex 600n V-bar
                  Logo 550sx V-bar
                  Logo 600sx V-bar
                  Logo 600sx V-bar night flyer

                  VBControl, but not the gay white version as i'm simply not gay enough to pull it off!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Salty water, dump it in. Some time later (24hrs?)put in the non recyclable household waste. Think thats right, but I often stand corrected.

                    Or charge it up and stab it, shoot it with an air rifle, see if you can cut it in half with the sharp edge of an old blade. All worthy enterprises.
                    Last edited by Swashbuckler; 05-09-2012, 08:43 PM.
                    Mikes Place - Home of the golden dump.

                    Sponsored by Elite Models.
                    http://www.elitemodelsonline.co.uk/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      haha - the salty water dumping.. can I cut the wires then so they'll be exposed? I want to keep the connectors.

                      do they ever explode or just start smoking? if i stab them... they wont explode, will they?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I've wrapped the slit with electrical tape. tight!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Seriously, you are happy to risk the contents of your house, car etc and your own safety all for the sake of £2.50??? Mental....

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Well it's not that but I have no idea how to dispose of it and I don't really want to just leave it outside in my BBQ tray!
                            salt water, how salty does it need to be?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Your over thinking the issue; chuck some salt in to the water, then chuck the battery in. I would also stab it through to ensure the plates internally are shorted and exposed.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X