Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tail grip failure

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tail grip failure

    Bit scary this one, I was just spooling up, going through the vibe phase, when one of the blades shot off. Thankfully on the ground and there seems to be no more damage. Heli had 45 flights on it and no real crashes or tail contacts with the ground.
    Blades were tightened as usual, nothing excessive and I double checked it before I spooled it up.
    Emailed Horizon, let's see what they say, I am quite concerned if these grips/plastic they are made from are adequate for 25k rpm tail.
    Attached Files
    Michal

    sigpic

  • #2
    HH asked me to send the heli back, I am sure they will fix it in one way or another. If I get vibes on spool up again I am going to contact them once more, I don't really accept the explanation that these are normal and I think they were the cause of this failure.
    Michal

    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      Has anyone established firmly one way or the other what causes this resonance / vibration?
      Seems to me if the tail blades are out of balance enough to cause it at low revs during spool up, it would shake itself to bits at 100%...
      Maybe I just answered my own question...
      Trev
      Lots of different things that fly

      And happy to have FOUR shiny EGS

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by dillwhacker View Post
        Has anyone established firmly one way or the other what causes this resonance / vibration?
        Seems to me if the tail blades are out of balance enough to cause it at low revs during spool up, it would shake itself to bits at 100%...
        Maybe I just answered my own question...
        Personally I don't think it's the blades, people just masking the problem "balancing" them. One piece T shape tail shaft not being square and blade grips out of balance are my theory.. followed by TT wire being bent.
        Mine had horrible shakes since new at certain headspeeds on spool up. Since HH said they were normal, I didn't attempt to fix them, except trying KBDD tail baldes out, which didn't do anything, heli was shaking as with stock ones.
        Michal

        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Mine has the spool up shake which really Bugs me. I hope HH is gonna come out with a mod for this.. Has anyone got any answers.???
          TREX 600 pro V-BAR

          TREX 500 V-BAR
          DFC

          BLADE 130x

          DX7

          PHOENIX




          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by SLIPPERY STEVENS View Post
            Mine has the spool up shake which really Bugs me. I hope HH is gonna come out with a mod for this.. Has anyone got any answers.???
            Nope, official HH stance is that vibes are normal.
            I'll let you know when mine is back from them.
            Michal

            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              There is a small amount of resonance engineered into the 130X this can be seen on almost all 130X's

              But it can be smoothed a little with better bearings and making sure the thing is setup correctly in the first place.

              We offer a bearing kit just go to RC Hero and its under upgrades 130X on the main menu.
              Trex 700 DFC HV - Trex 550L DFC - 180CFX - Teksumo Night Flyer - DX9 & too much more...
              http://www.rc-hero.co.uk
              Models, Spares and Upgrades "Getting Bigger By Being Better"
              Check out our ratings at Trustpilot


              Comment


              • #8
                You can get rid of the resonance.... Plenty of threads about different fixes on helifreal.

                HH say it's normal, and I guess it is normal since all of them do it lol. Doesn't mean it is desirable however!

                Thankfully, mine did mostly go away simply with the KBDD blades... It's still there but much reduced. For mine, it would seem the blade balance was contributing (or I got really luck, and installed mismatched blades in such a way as to dynamically balance the rotor).
                Ridding the world of Helis, one crash at a time....

                sigpic Proud owner of an EGS and a platinum EGS!!!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Zeeflyboy View Post
                  You can get rid of the resonance.... Plenty of threads about different fixes on helifreal.

                  HH say it's normal, and I guess it is normal since all of them do it lol. Doesn't mean it is desirable however!

                  Thankfully, mine did mostly go away simply with the KBDD blades... It's still there but much reduced. For mine, it would seem the blade balance was contributing (or I got really luck, and installed mismatched blades in such a way as to dynamically balance the rotor).
                  Trouble is that most of these "fixes" are trial and error guesses which are mostly wrong and just masking the problems. Personally, I don't want to fix it myself, I didn't break it, I'll let HH figure it out
                  I have plenty other helis to fly while I wait.
                  p.s. I don't think all of them do it, I know at least two which don't vibe on spool up, stock.
                  Last edited by AcidDrink; 03-08-2012, 05:27 PM.
                  Michal

                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Hmmm, glad I decided to stay away from this puppy

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Vikki View Post
                      Hmmm, glad I decided to stay away from this puppy
                      Don't get me wrong, I am not saying it's a bad heli, it's great when it flies, but has some inherent design and QC flaws which need to be fixed. I'd not bother with HH if I thought it would be a bad heli, I'd just return it for a refund or throw it to rubbish bin and move on. It's a great machine and only one in this class which can do full 3D flight on a small grass patch, and because of this I am willing to wait and work with HH to fix it. Applying home made fixes doesn't solve anything.
                      Last edited by AcidDrink; 03-08-2012, 06:12 PM.
                      Michal

                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I see your point AcidDrink, but i just cant help myself, +1 the overall flying of the Heli is awesome,

                        i dont agree that resonance vibration is normal or correct ! especially on such a small heli, some full size heli's do this, and they are technical flaws i am led to believe,

                        so i badgered on until i got rid of it myself, new high quality bearing kit, a few minor other tweeks and it now spools from 0 - 100% totally sweet, and no vibes, it is far more efficient now as well, as for the price Horizon could never add such good bearings in stock format, with every control very acurate and true, ( i did superlube the servo thread drives, and use contact lube on track fingers)

                        i did however do what you should do with any new RC heli and that is check every thing ! ! if trex made a BNF 700E there is no way on this earth i could ever just bind it and go fly, it would scare me to death, as most say it should be stripped and checked for threadlock, settings, and security of everything

                        i am now well pleased with the blade 130x and my efforts have paid dividends , 5 mins of crazy flying in such a small bird.
                        Last edited by Mike00top; 04-08-2012, 08:33 PM.
                        Current Heli's, Align Trex 550, Blade MCPx BL, Blade 130x, Blade 450x, JR DSX9

                        Total RC nut ! have been for 35 years ! my count so far of over 192 models ! ( Cars, Planes, jets, gliders and Helicopters)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Mines smooth during spool up, however once it's flying it's a different matter. It gets some funky shakes in fff.
                          Same thing?
                          sigpic
                          7HV Kosmik 200 cool Neo BL9180 BL9188 pyro 750/56 comp
                          6HV ultimate Helijive120 SK540 BLS351 BLS251
                          Goblin 500 SK540 jive 100lv
                          HD 500 SK540 jive 80 lv
                          WARP 360 KOBY 55 SK720 MKS92a MKS95i
                          Oxy 3 SK540 minijazz20





                          Comment


                          • #14
                            that is more likely to be gyro's looking after a head issue !

                            possible causes can vary , but mostly due to :-

                            1) blade imbalance
                            2) one blade has a different twist capability from the other, or damaged.
                            3) slop in servo linkage, try fitting the canopy rubbers behind the three swash ball joints to help pack it slightly, and may be a small bore silicon behind upper joints.
                            4) CCPM gyro gains too high.

                            obviously check for standard issues first like bent feather shaft or broken items/failing parts, blades too tight/loose etc
                            Current Heli's, Align Trex 550, Blade MCPx BL, Blade 130x, Blade 450x, JR DSX9

                            Total RC nut ! have been for 35 years ! my count so far of over 192 models ! ( Cars, Planes, jets, gliders and Helicopters)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              It's done it from day 1. I will lower the gyro gains and stick the extra grommets on see how it goes. Cheers.
                              sigpic
                              7HV Kosmik 200 cool Neo BL9180 BL9188 pyro 750/56 comp
                              6HV ultimate Helijive120 SK540 BLS351 BLS251
                              Goblin 500 SK540 jive 100lv
                              HD 500 SK540 jive 80 lv
                              WARP 360 KOBY 55 SK720 MKS92a MKS95i
                              Oxy 3 SK540 minijazz20





                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X