Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First heli?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • First heli?

    Since they have been out for a while would you say it is good for a first heli now or not. I'm looking to purchase a heli in the next week, I already have an dx6i and Phoenix.

    Mark.

  • #2
    All things are possible...

    If you've used the sim a fair bit then yes, I'd say so. The mCP X is probably a better first CP heli due to simplicity, lower power, and extreme crashability but the 130X will be more capable as you progress....

    Fit it with some simple training gear until you've got the hovering sorted and you'll probably get on fine.
    Ridding the world of Helis, one crash at a time....

    sigpic Proud owner of an EGS and a platinum EGS!!!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by p1uke View Post
      Since they have been out for a while would you say it is good for a first heli now or not. I'm looking to purchase a heli in the next week, I already have an dx6i and Phoenix.

      Mark.
      No, don't buy this as your first heli. It's too powerful, too fast and too complex mechanically. You will be much better off with mcpx.
      Michal

      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks guys, still not sure what to get. Are you able to "dumb" these down abit so there not to powerfully and abit slower.
        I'm looking to buy a heli tomorrow, I don't really fancy a mcpx as I can only fly outdoors, and I don't want a heli that it will restrict me in a few months or so.

        Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

        Comment


        • #5
          I don't have an 130x but seeing as you have a Dx6i you will be able to dumb down ANY heli you choose to buy with the right settings.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by p1uke View Post
            Thanks guys, still not sure what to get. Are you able to "dumb" these down abit so there not to powerfully and abit slower.
            I'm looking to buy a heli tomorrow, I don't really fancy a mcpx as I can only fly outdoors, and I don't want a heli that it will restrict me in a few months or so.

            Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2
            Well, it's up to you really, I learned how to fly on a flybarred 250, so it can be done.
            Michal

            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              I've just built my first heli so here are few thoughts:
              1. buy size 450 (or possibly 500), these are more stable than small sizes
              2. buy a "super combo" kit and a receiver, and put it together yourself. It will be difficult, will take time but you will learn a lot along the way.
              Trex 450 DFC with AR7200BX and several small E-flite Blades

              proud wearer of one EGS sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Yeah I always think it's better to go for a 450 or 500 to learn on. The small ones are too twitchy to learn on IMO. Yes there is a far greater initial cost, but if you're serious about getting into the hobby then it is worth it and will last you a lot longer.

                Go for a used 450 or 500
                Harry

                Mikado Logo 700 | VBar Neo | JR HV Servos | Pyro 750-50L | Kontronik Kosmik 160HV + buffer pack|
                Thunder Tiger G4 E720 | CGY760 FBL | BLS272SV + BLS276SV | Align 800MX Dom 440kv | Kontronik PowerJive 120HV + Opti UltraGuard |
                SAB Kraken 580 6S | Spirit FBL | BLS173SV + BLS276SV | HK4025 1100kV | Kontronik Kolibri 140LV + Opti UltraGuard |


                And a pillow for the doghouse...

                Powered by Futaba 18SZ

                Comment


                • #9
                  If you can only fly outside then the bigger the better for stability when learning i would look at a 500 size heli
                  Raptor 50 v2
                  Raptor 50 titan se
                  Raptor X50n to go in sea king fuz
                  Raptor 90
                  dsx9 mk2
                  600 size Sea king being built
                  Bo-105 in red bull colours waitng to be built

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I learnt to hover on a Gaui 255 and boy wasn't it a twitchy little bugger....when I had a fly of a 450 it was so much more stable. There are so many permutations to the what's the best heli to learn on it's hard to say as it depends on your initial ability how deep your pockets are, if you're going solo or joining a club etc. etc. etc.......

                    Get a 450 sized heli, with at least a DX6i with settings set to dumb it down and a set of training gear and you won't go far wrong for your initial floor sliding/hops. Even better if you join a club (so someone could buddy you) and get a sim to practise on...my 2p worth
                    Neil

                    1 x


                    Raptor 30, OS32, on its way to being FBL (and leccy?)
                    Trex 450 Pro, Beastx, Savox 0257, DS520
                    Blade 180CFX

                    DX9 & DX7
                    Too many planks...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Planehazza View Post
                      Go for a used 450 or 500
                      ... I would say - "used" if you know and trust the seller. Otherwise, I would not trust it to be setup correctly. I think it's next to impossible for beginner to verify it is. Much easier just to put together yourself a new one.

                      Also, stripping down used heli just to put it back again is not fun.
                      Trex 450 DFC with AR7200BX and several small E-flite Blades

                      proud wearer of one EGS sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        My first heli was a 700n, but the repair costs scared the crap out of me, so I bought a 450 to learn crashing on.

                        My advise would be to get a 450 kit and build it yourself, that way you'll be better equipped to fix it after your first crash.

                        If I was starting again, I would have started with a 450, but I'd have bought spare main and tail blades, main and feathering shafts, all gears and spare skids, because there's nothing worse than not having spares when you want to fly.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          All the info above is sound advice

                          My experience was buying a 450 super combo with dx6i built it with the help of a forum member had a few goes an ended up with a few second hovers they are nice and stable but my problem reacting quick enough when it started to drift out of my comfort which resulted in two sets of blades and a busted skid :-) it can be done on a 450+ size but be prepared for the constant cost of crashing (it will happen)
                          So luckily for me a kind forum member Vikki donated a mcpx to me and I am putting it together tomorrow as I can't translate from sim to real at this stage so I'll be using the mcpx as a training tool (bounces like a rubber ball) untill I'm comfortable with my reactions then I'll go back to my 450

                          So I'd say a mcpx to get your thumbs nicely tuned then upgrade to a 450+ size
                          Just my 2p's worth

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I would second the MCPx and am surprised at the lack of recommendations for it. You can get a v1 VERY cheaply at the moment (£70 at robot birds?) and it will be invaluable in helping you get your hovering orientations in etc. As soon as you move beyond that I'd agree on the 450. I've been persevering with a Blade SR but have never really been able to get it right and have finally just junked it in favor of my 450 Sport Super Combo.

                            On the subject of the 6i, IF you can stretch to it, go for the DX8, they're far higher quality and IMO worth it in the long run provided you think you'll keep at the hobby.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Bronek View Post
                              ... I would say - "used" if you know and trust the seller. Otherwise, I would not trust it to be setup correctly. I think it's next to impossible for beginner to verify it is. Much easier just to put together yourself a new one.

                              Also, stripping down used heli just to put it back again is not fun.
                              Sorry yeah, I'm too used to buying from here. To echo your comments - stay away from ebay! Trust me!

                              It may not be fun but if you build the model yourself, you become much more familiar with it and able to set it up better.
                              Harry

                              Mikado Logo 700 | VBar Neo | JR HV Servos | Pyro 750-50L | Kontronik Kosmik 160HV + buffer pack|
                              Thunder Tiger G4 E720 | CGY760 FBL | BLS272SV + BLS276SV | Align 800MX Dom 440kv | Kontronik PowerJive 120HV + Opti UltraGuard |
                              SAB Kraken 580 6S | Spirit FBL | BLS173SV + BLS276SV | HK4025 1100kV | Kontronik Kolibri 140LV + Opti UltraGuard |


                              And a pillow for the doghouse...

                              Powered by Futaba 18SZ

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X