Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tail wag

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tail wag

    Hi I recently purhased a Blade 180 cfx trio.
    The is a very slight tail wag but not much.
    when I purchased the Lynheli headset and swash plate - the old 2 bladed version LX1517 and LX1400 using the stock trio blades the tail wag is considerably alot more, approx 10 degrees which makes the heli uncontrollable.
    I have the settings according to the Trio's manual. I ha e tried increasing gains but it has not effect.
    I thought I could use 2 blades on the trio if I purchased the 2 bladed headset and swash plate but clearly this is not the case.
    Could any one help?

  • #2
    Wish I could help. In my experience tail wag is mechanical rather than gain related. I have not got the new trio so not sure if the fbl unit is the same however if it is then you can at least try and increase or decrease gains.

    i did find that the old plastic pitch slider as it wore caused minor twitches in the tail, but I am assuming yours is all new so doubt this is the issue.


    Align 700n :: Synergy 766 :: US Coastguard (Scale) :: Logo 550 :: Oxy 2 :: Blade 180cfx :: Blade 130x

    Comment


    • #3
      I ended up replacing the tail servo on my 2 blade 180cfx TWICE to cure a wag. I found the servos on both occasions started to jitter, one after a crash and the servo got locked into position by bent parts and probably started to burn itself out. The other I think just got old or maybe had a couple of gentle knocks.
      Is this a new 3 blade out of the box heli or an original 180cfx with an upgraded 3 blade head?

      Increasing or decreasing gains depends on the type of wag, if not mechanical. A slow, loose feeling wag means your gain is too low. A fast aggressive wag means your gain is too high
      Dan

      Goblin 700c carbon - Xnova, Brain2
      Goblin 570 - Scorpion, Tribunus, Brain2
      Goblin 420 - Xnova, Brain
      Dx9 black

      Comment


      • #4
        It's the new Trio that's recently been released. So out of the box it has 3 blades, which flies okay with very minor tail wags. But i was advised by Lynx heli themselves that their swash plate and head set for the old 180 cfx would be compatible on my new Trio. Clearly this was not the case and the tail wag is very bad. Left right, left right constantly. When I fitted back the stock 3 headed Blade it flew a bit better with less tail wag. Could it be that if I wanted to fly 2 headed blades that I need longer main blades than the ones that came stock with my Trio? Could it be that the new receiver has been tuned differently on my Trio causing a significant amount of tail wag because I used Lynxheli's 2 bladed setup?
        Last edited by Explodingfist; 04-12-2017, 09:45 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          My recommendation is, Assuming you’ve not crashed it, stick the 3 blade head back on and contact HH support to see if you can eliminate the minor tail wag you have. Then - if you still want to - put the 2 blade head on and if the wag is still there video it and send it to Lynx.


          Align 700n :: Synergy 766 :: US Coastguard (Scale) :: Logo 550 :: Oxy 2 :: Blade 180cfx :: Blade 130x

          Comment


          • #6
            Hey buddy.

            Without Googling the model I'm not sure what FBL controller it's running out of the box, but many have two types of tail gain.
            One which is the usual gyro gain we adjust via the spare (or GEAR) channel on out Tx and another that is usually altered within the FBL controller itself called Tail Lock Gain or other.
            The latter effects how tight the grip is on the tail to resist outside influences to move when not being commanded to do so by the pilot.
            What can happen here is if this gain is too high, as it's looking to maintain a constant heading, this higher locking gain value can induce what looks like a tail wag but is in effect the tail fighting itself to stay still.

            On a smaller model it could be more critical to get right, maybe more so on a 3 bladed tail? Not tried a 3 bladed tail yet to comment on that.

            Another though is how do you have the ESC? Some govenors can cause tail kicks as they vary the rotor rpm to maintain head speed, thus the tail is speeding up and slowing down to which makes the tail gyro work harder.

            Mechanical slop or resistance in the tail blade grip bearings or links won't help either, again magnified with the smaller and lesser powerful tail servos on the smaller models.

            Ian Contessa

            Edit. Just Google'd, Castle Creations ESC which is usually good on the govenor bit could be set too high on the govenor gain.
            Then HH's AS3X for flight controller, not sure if there is any additional settings on that which can be tuned. Maybe check the mounting of the sensor and check for any excessive vibration in the airframe to
            Last edited by coolice; 06-12-2017, 08:53 AM.
            Ian Contessa
            Robbe SchluterUK / Midland Helicopters / Align



            Coolice Power Supplies
            Coolice Custom Built Charge Case's

            Comment


            • #7
              As previously mentioned, in most cases fast tail wag is caused by the FBL gains being too high and slower wags are mostly due to mechanical issues. If your tail pitch slider is not silky smooth or if your tail thrust bearings are not properly greased or are faulty you will increase your chances of the tail wagging. It could be (and this is only a theory) that the tail wag seems worse with the 3-blade head because it is drawing more current from the system and so the servos are not seeing quite as much voltage as when using the 2-blade head. Lower volts at the servos mean less torque available to overcome any stiffness in the various joints and linkages between the servo and the tail blades. The normal advice is to strip the tail down, check the bearings, size the links, polish the tail shaft and slider and, if you do it well enough, 9 out of 10 times the issue goes away.
              So many heli's, so little time.

              Comment

              Working...
              X