Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Raptor 3D canopy. Finished.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My Raptor 3D canopy. Finished.

    Come on guys, I do these posts to try to inspire some of you to have ago. Loads of you are far more artistic and talented than me so lets get some of your work up.

    I'm learning this and really want to help people learn from my mistakes. That being said on this canopy I have changed the order to see if get cleaner lines where the colours join.

    Steps so far.
    1) Sand the canopy with P800 Soap and water. (Soap stops the paper clogging)
    2) One coat of grey primer.
    3) Flat back with wet P1200
    4) 1 coat of white primer, then a flat back with wet P1200
    5) Mask out your shapes with 3M 3mm pinstripe tape.
    6) Mask the whole side with 3M application tape.
    7) Draw in the tear shape with a biro then cut it in place.
    8) Remove the middle bit of mask and keep somewhere safe.
    9) Cut diamonds of fisk film and stick in checks pattern.
    10) Coat of white primer to seal the edges.
    11) Dust on the black in very light coats.
    12) Peel of the squares and gently scratch off any bleed with a blade.
    13) Set the airbrush at a lower presure (20psi) and paint a line at the edge of the mask on the bottom of the tears. The overspray creates the shaddow.
    14) A light coat of Halfords clear to keep the white clean.
    15) Peel off the rest of the mask.

    This is the most time consuming part of the job done. It took about 3 hours in total including waiting for paint to dry.

    Last edited by ddracer; 31-01-2010, 07:30 PM.
    Cheers Adam
    Volatilis vacuus alai
    Owner of an "Evil Gold Star"




  • #2
    it looking amzing mate cant wait to see the finished thing as you know steve is doing mine cant wait for that either.....
    hampshire hog raptor 50
    DX7
    Phoenix

    Comment


    • #3
      Get him to get some pics up hopefully more people will start. If everyone does canopies for everyone else we can put canomod out of business. LOL
      Cheers Adam
      Volatilis vacuus alai
      Owner of an "Evil Gold Star"



      Comment


      • #4
        yer im game for that
        hampshire hog raptor 50
        DX7
        Phoenix

        Comment


        • #5
          I have done some canopy graphics with sticky vinyl. I really can't do any painting as I don't have the space and I share with housemates that would not appreciate it too much.

          But here's my zebra stripe Ely.Q;
          Attached Files
          Kasama, Minicopter, Henseleit, JR, Shape, Beam
          Robbe, RMJ Raptor gasser, powered by
          Spartan, Spirit, BeastX, Kontronik, CY Total-G, DX8

          member of Epsom Downs and Bloobird clubs
          Proud recipient of 7 EGS! and a platinum star

          Comment


          • #6
            looking good mate, like the chequered pattern
            James

            Sponsored by
            Align-Trex.co.uk
            Optifuel/optipower
            MKS servotech


            5 Eddie gold stars and christmas star

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: My Raptor 3D canopy.

              Originally posted by trillian
              I have done some canopy graphics with sticky vinyl. I really can't do any painting as I don't have the space and I share with housemates that would not appreciate it too much.

              But here's my zebra stripe Ely.Q;
              That is one cool canopy!
              Trex 450 V3

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by xpower180 View Post
                That is one cool canopy!
                Thanks My idea was to see what would happen with graphics that completely ignore the shape of the canopy. I still like it as well.
                Kasama, Minicopter, Henseleit, JR, Shape, Beam
                Robbe, RMJ Raptor gasser, powered by
                Spartan, Spirit, BeastX, Kontronik, CY Total-G, DX8

                member of Epsom Downs and Bloobird clubs
                Proud recipient of 7 EGS! and a platinum star

                Comment


                • #9
                  will put some pics up when i make some more progress been a bit slack and lazy lately
                  steve

                  phoenix sim = most usefull tool owned
                  dx6i = great tx
                  TREX 500

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I cant wait for Adam to finish his canopy

                    Because then both of them will have the finish coat and I get it back

                    Top marks from me mate
                    Rob
                    TDR (in progress)
                    SAB Goblin 700
                    Vibe 90SG Vibe 500E
                    Trex 700 VBar, Trex 700 BeastX
                    Trex 600FBL, Trex 600NP, Trex 450Pro
                    Kalt Baron30
                    sigpicproud owner of Four Eddie Gold Stars

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      LOL, I will try to get it done tonight and the fins so I can get it into Gooch's monday morning. Be patient my young grasshopper.
                      Cheers Adam
                      Volatilis vacuus alai
                      Owner of an "Evil Gold Star"



                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ddracer View Post
                        Be patient my young grasshopper.
                        lol thats the key to a good job
                        steve

                        phoenix sim = most usefull tool owned
                        dx6i = great tx
                        TREX 500

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          OK just finished the canopy.

                          Final Steps.
                          16) Mask all but the yellow and red.
                          17) Spray the yellow down to the tear.
                          18) Spray the red at the bottom and blend into the bottom of the yellow.
                          19) Remask for the blue arrow. Spray the blue.
                          20) Once dry dirty the edge with black. (same way you do shadow) Then blow blue over it to calm it down a bit.
                          21) Re-mask for the screen.
                          22) Spray the screen red or blue I used blue as it was in the brush.
                          23) Go over the screen with black.
                          24) Unmask and admire.

                          Last step is to get it for clear. As you know I pay someone to do this for me as it makes all the difference.



                          Cheers Adam
                          Volatilis vacuus alai
                          Owner of an "Evil Gold Star"



                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Getting better and better m8.

                            The step-by-step is a great help to us. Well done
                            T-Rex 600N Pro x 2 - T-Rex 600N Sport - Rappy 50 - Hughes scale (Rappy 50) - Hughes scale (Century 50)
                            Jet Ranger scale (GH 61) - Mini Titan - mCPx - A "few" canopies
                            www.Cano-Fx.co.uk
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              very nice job there mate i have just found someone to clear my jobs now so im well chuffed i dont have too
                              steve

                              phoenix sim = most usefull tool owned
                              dx6i = great tx
                              TREX 500

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X