Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Equipment recommendations 😊

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Equipment recommendations 😊

    Hi Peeps ,

    Been out the hobby for for a few years now and have decided I miss it and have ordered an Assault 450L ( purely cos it so cheap and won’t cost too much if I prang it whilst reacquaint myself on

    Previously I’ve had a stock Align 450 pro Dfc and a stock Align 550 pro and were both lovely to fly using a Spektrum dx7 and back then to as all new to me .

    Now .. has anyone got any recommendations for motors, esc’s, servos,blades ,chargers etc ? As I’m sure it’s all advanced a lil since my last attempts 🙃

    I’ll be going for a gen 2 dx8/9 as remember the dx7 didn’t have enough clicks on the idle up switch lol unless there’s any recommendations for a better for the same kind of price


    many thanks in advance 🙏🏻😊

  • #2
    The original DX7 has three flight modes, 'normal' and idle-up 1 and 2. The DX7S only had normal and idle-1, the DX8 gen one version has 3 positions and I'm pretty sure the gen two 8 and 9 have three as well.
    Kasama, Minicopter, Henseleit, JR, Shape, Beam
    Robbe, RMJ Raptor gasser, powered by
    Spartan, Spirit, BeastX, Kontronik, CY Total-G, DX8

    member of Epsom Downs and Bloobird clubs
    Proud recipient of 7 EGS! and a platinum star

    Comment


    • #3
      Aah yes that was it a dx7s .. thanks for the input ��

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by numbskull View Post
        Aah yes that was it a dx7s .. thanks for the input ��
        There is a pretty simple way to effectively get another idle-up (for electric helis) in the DX7S by using the gear / mix switch, program it to add a certain value to the idle-up throttle %. I have a 7S and set up an idle-2 that way for a few models but I find that I rarely need it anyway.
        Kasama, Minicopter, Henseleit, JR, Shape, Beam
        Robbe, RMJ Raptor gasser, powered by
        Spartan, Spirit, BeastX, Kontronik, CY Total-G, DX8

        member of Epsom Downs and Bloobird clubs
        Proud recipient of 7 EGS! and a platinum star

        Comment


        • #5
          KST servos are worth looking at as are hobbywing esc.
          MKS servos are good but more expensive.

          Chargers I started off with a cellpro multi4 for single pack charging but now have revolextric gt500 which is great but not cheap.
          1psu by Coolice(Ian Contessa ) superb.
          All the main players are still around savox ,futaba ,scorpion motors and icharger etc.
          Your budget will dictate what you can get ...have a good look around in the classifieds and shops.
          The Fleet

          SAB Goblin 500 sport. (in build)
          XK K110 on its way. Arrived and superb
          Blade MCPX (just about airworthy)
          Trex 450 Pro on Brain 2
          Raptor 30 V2. Converted to electric with Quick UK conversion
          Mini Titan super Cobra ah1
          Alien 550 Quad.3DR Pixhawk
          Futaba 7C 8FGS 14SG
          Specktrum DX6i
          Hovered by me,flown by my boys Nicholas and Edward.
          Cheers,
          Paul

          Comment


          • #6
            There is a PL6 charger up for sale on this forum, they are fantastic chargers and will last you a long time. This one is single channel, dual channel chargers seem to have become more popular recently (essentially two chargers in one box) but personally I'd rather have two chargers to reduce the impact of failures. Maj is selling it and he is a sound chap to buy from (I bought my charger from him).

            Coolice psu is definitely the way to go unless you have some experience of electrics and just want to buy the bits to make your own, though I'm not sure its worth it to be honest.

            Comment


            • #7
              Hey Guys.

              Thank you for the PSU recommendations it's greatly appreciated as always.

              When it comes to power supplies and chargers I can recommend a few options if you would like?
              PM or email me if you've got any questions.
              You have great options from the likes of Revolectrix, iCharger and the new kid on the block ISDT get good reports to.

              Ian Contessa
              Last edited by coolice; 25-10-2017, 11:28 PM.
              Ian Contessa
              Robbe SchluterUK / Midland Helicopters / Align



              Coolice Power Supplies
              Coolice Custom Built Charge Case's

              Comment


              • #8
                I'd go for a coolice if I needed a 24v psu. Converted a 12v but joining them isn't worth blowing yourself up for haha
                Last edited by _tj_; 25-10-2017, 11:34 PM.
                Heli's: Trex 700 - os gt15hz : Goblin 380 & MSH Brain - Trex 450 Ikon : Blade 550x & 180cfx
                FPV: Sky Cruise 2400 - Cyclops Tornado - 700tvl cam
                SkyWalker - Cyclops Tornado - 700tvl cam
                DJI F550 - Naza v2 - iOsd - BT module - 700tvl cam
                Mini Talon - MFD - 700tvl cam

                Comment


                • #9
                  Ta for the info peeps .. much appreciated ��

                  am gonna go for a 2nd gen dx8 I reckons .. and gonna go with align servos as never had issues with em .. gonna give beast x a go as was never to keen on the 3gx performance..just need to get the funds together now ��

                  And yes ... Ian .. I shall be in touch re power supply/ charger ��

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by numbskull View Post
                    Ta for the info peeps .. much appreciated ��

                    am gonna go for a 2nd gen dx8 I reckons .. and gonna go with align servos as never had issues with em .. gonna give beast x a go as was never to keen on the 3gx performance..just need to get the funds together now ��

                    And yes ... Ian .. I shall be in touch re power supply/ charger ��
                    There's nothing wrong with the BeastX of course but there are several other options worthy of consideration that give you more facilities for the money. You could look into the MSH Brain (older Brain 1's can be had for maybe £60 but no integration), the Spartan Vortex, Spirit etc. The Brain 2 and Spirit have rescue facilities if that appeals. Most/all have multiple switchable flight modes and setup options and the Brain 2 (and maybe Spirit?) can be integrated with Spektrum transmitters so all setups are tweakable/configurable from the Tx. Just something to consider.
                    So many heli's, so little time.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      +1 on spreading the net a little wider for FBL options. The 3GX is long since discontinued (not many tears shed in that respect) but there are a lot more alternatives than just the BeastX. The smart money these days would be on the Brain2 or Spirit/Spirit Pro. The Beast X is ok but quite basic by modern standards and expensive once you add rescue functionality (which is standard with the Brain or Spirit).

                      As mentioned above both the Brain2 and Spirit Pro have full integration with Spektrum allowing the FBL to be setup and tweaked direct from your Tx with non of the blinky multi coloured LED nonesense that you have to endure with the BeastX. Both also support telemetry input from a wide range of ESCs.
                      Goblin Kraken, SoXos Strike 7, XLPower Specter, Goblin Black Thunder T, Goblin 700 Speed, Goblin 770 Comp Carbon, Trex 700X, Kasama Dune, Henseleit TDR

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Powerlab chargers are brilliant.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Firstly thanks for all your recommendations and input ...So lil update ... ended up bagging a used but good nick DX9...also a pl8 v2 with a cool ice 24v supply ..motor I went for an align 460mx 1800kv on a Hobbywing platinum 50amp esc .flybarless wise I did go for beastx though in the form of the ar7200bx with satellite and align ds450m on cyclic and ds455 on the tail... hoping to get in the air this weekend at long last and have some test hovers lol

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X