Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

flybarred blades on FLB heli

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • flybarred blades on FLB heli

    Running FB blades on an FBL heli. I'm thinking this might make my heli feel more snappy. But has anyone run FB blades on an FBL heli for a decent amount of time? Is this likely to cause my servos any grief?

    Cheers,
    Jamie
    Synergy E7SE - Spektrum AR7200BX
    Align 600EFL DFC - Spektrum AR7200BX
    Align 450 Pro DFC - 3GX

  • #2
    well there were no real fbl blades for the trex 550 for a long time - never had any issues with the stock non 3g (fbl) ones ...
    Sev

    ---
    Thunder Tiger E700 BD3SX
    Trex 700E DFC HV BD3SX (Night Flyer)
    Trex 450L DFC BD3SX
    Trex 150 PRO DFC
    Blade Nano CP X
    Blade mCP X v2
    Blade 130X
    DJI Inspire 1
    DJI Phantom 2 iOSDmini
    EMAX Nighthawk 280 Pro FPV Racer
    EMAX 250 Pro V2 FPV Racer

    Futaba 18MZ
    Phoenix V5, AccuRC, neXt & RX2SIM
    ​
    MK Heli Club MKMAA

    Proud Owner of:

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by JamieD View Post
      Running FB blades on an FBL heli. I'm thinking this might make my heli feel more snappy. But has anyone run FB blades on an FBL heli for a decent amount of time? Is this likely to cause my servos any grief?

      Cheers,
      Jamie
      I did it for a while with my 600e, with some TT type 600 blades. They are designed for FB IIRC (I had them on my knight 3d).

      They worked, but the difference when I switched to some FBL blades was dramatic, and I wondered why I hadnt done it sooner. The TTs were only supposed to be a stop gap.
      Logo 600 3D --- Vortex Vx1n
      JR Forza 700 --- Vortex Vx1e

      Team Macgregor flight team and Magregor industries field rep

      Co-founder of South Hants Helis - and now on Facebook
      And the proud wearer of one

      Comment


      • #4
        My favourite blades on the 600 were radix sb the flybarred type. They just flew so accurately, even though Fbl with the BeastX. But I can't say the same for the 700 where it felt loose with align fb blades, didn't come alive until I put Fbl blades on
        Humble owner of 7 Eddie Gold Stars and Ex - member of Mk Heli Club
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          I have a 550 DFC V3 with the original 520mm flybarred blades still on it, as said above it wasn't until mid last year that Align brought out the 520 FBL blades, so all kits came with the standard FB ones.
          I fully intend to put the new ALign FBL blades on, but but can't decide what size to go for, may put the new 550's on and 95mm tails as i have a 600 boom on it.
          But to answer your question, i haven't had any problems using the flybarred blades, but wouldn't have picked them over FBL given the choice.

          Dan.

          TREX 550X - Beastx HD Pro
          GOBLIN 570 - V-Bar Neo Pro

          Taranis X9D Plus

          neXt Sim

          AccruRc Sim

          Proud wearer of 3 X EGS

          Comment


          • #6
            Yes it will feel more snappy. This is a perfectly accepted thing if you like the feel better. No, it won't give your servos any grief.

            What you'll generally find is that FBL blades will give you the feeling of a bit more stability due to the weight distribution being more outboard and sometimes they are a bit heavier overall so the rotor disc has more gyroscopic effect. Some FBL controllers still provide plenty of heading hold even with lightweight blades, so it depends on the FBL unit as to how much change there is in the feeling of stability. So sometimes you can compensate by increasing the swash gain.

            The thing about blades is that there is a wide range of weights and C of G (or weight distribution) and in fact some blades that are called FBL are actually less 'flybarless' for lack of a better term, than some FB blades. One example of a very stable and well mannered blade is the standard Radix. If you look at the FAI 710s it's even more dramatic - they are both heavier AND outboard C of G than most 'FBL' 710s and yet they were intended for flybarred helis.

            I have also run FBL blades on flybarred helis which sometimes works well and sometimes they're too heavy and sluggish.

            The one thing I will say is that some of the very aggressive FB 3D blades (mounting position at the root is farther forward which makes the blade 'lead' more rather than lag) will not be suitable for FBL, I'm thinking specifically of some of the white Torsions for example.
            Last edited by trillian; 26-01-2014, 02:06 PM.
            Kasama, Minicopter, Henseleit, JR, Shape, Beam
            Robbe, RMJ Raptor gasser, powered by
            Spartan, Spirit, BeastX, Kontronik, CY Total-G, DX8

            member of Epsom Downs and Bloobird clubs
            Proud recipient of 7 EGS! and a platinum star

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by jimmyhorns View Post
              I did it for a while with my 600e, with some TT type 600 blades. They are designed for FB IIRC (I had them on my knight 3d).

              They worked, but the difference when I switched to some FBL blades was dramatic, and I wondered why I hadnt done it sooner. The TTs were only supposed to be a stop gap.
              I still use those TT blades whenever I setup a new heli and in fact that's all I used when I was testing the Vortex on the Knight 600e. On the Beam (Total-G FBL unit) I have been using the Rail 606s and on that heli the blades make a very big difference, not sure if it's mainly the Total-G or the Beam rotorhead. With the Vortex it seems to compensate more and lighter blades still feel very stable, but I think in windy conditions heavier blades will always win out in stability.
              Kasama, Minicopter, Henseleit, JR, Shape, Beam
              Robbe, RMJ Raptor gasser, powered by
              Spartan, Spirit, BeastX, Kontronik, CY Total-G, DX8

              member of Epsom Downs and Bloobird clubs
              Proud recipient of 7 EGS! and a platinum star

              Comment


              • #8
                My logo still uses the Century Funkey 560mm flybarred blades, not bothered buying any fbl blades.
                Yes the big sigpic is coming back

                Comment


                • #9
                  Used various flybar blades on various helis,Original compass ones,BBT,Thunder Tiger,all the old Align blades,Funkey ones,flybar Edges,SWEs,Maniacs,semi symmetrical and symmetrical also,not seen any great difference between using dedicated fbl blades over and above the subtle difference that blades give anyway.
                  Last edited by ChrisB; 26-01-2014, 04:33 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Toto edge website mate there's a video their on the differences , it's interesting mate.


                    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X