Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

oils for gasser helis

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • oils for gasser helis

    To the gasser flyers here, just curious what oil you're using. I have been using Amsoil Saber for a few years and this choice was based on recommendations from a few long time gasser flyers on Runryder. But this was several years ago.

    More recently though I have seen the suggestion that Pennzoil full synthetic marine 2 stroke oil burns cleaner (doesn't deposit carbon on the piston) and a few guys on HF are using it and report great results. But I cannot find this oil outside the USA. Another oil that is supposed to burn similarly clean is Motul 800 2T which is available in the UK.

    They're mixing the Pennzoil and Motul at 32 to 1.

    I have been mixing the Amsoil Saber at a target of 40 to 1 but owing to slight errors when doing small batches I err on the side of ever so slightly more so I'm probably getting something like 37 / 38 to 1, at a guess. This oil is supposed to be able to be mixed as thin as 100 to 1 but that leaves zero margin for error on tuning / temps etc.

    Anyway, I have no complaints about the Amsoil but nothing to compare it to. If there's something better I like knowing about it and have no problem switching.
    Kasama, Minicopter, Henseleit, JR, Shape, Beam
    Robbe, RMJ Raptor gasser, powered by
    Spartan, Spirit, BeastX, Kontronik, CY Total-G, DX8

    member of Epsom Downs and Bloobird clubs
    Proud recipient of 7 EGS! and a platinum star

  • #2
    Maj will proberly be the man to ask
    Santander Factory Team

    Proud wearer of 5 x EGS

    Comment


    • #3
      Amsoil here
      I have run it at 83:1 with no ill effects
      but normal use 40:1

      why 83:1 and not any other ratio? its easier to measure the oil quantity with the equipment I have than any other mix
      many use 90:1 but an error could easily run lean on oil and goodbye engine


      I have also in the past used shell injector 2 stroke oil and shell scooter 2 stroke oil with ill effect at the correct OE ratio

      a quality oil is the key


      when I raced motocross some that were using a 50/50 petrol/ avgas mix used std synthetic 2 stroke oils at 100:1
      i never knew what brand of oil they used but it wasn't a cheapo b&q strimmer oil
      Hirobo Turbulence D3
      a bunch of bls servo's and a 701 gyro
      Powered by an OS91 hz and a MP2
      Winner of the LHC Scale Cup 2011

      1/4 scale Vario Bell 47 G3
      1/3 scale Vario R22
      2012 LHC Scale Cup Judge
      member of save the flybar foundation
      www.alcesterhelicopterclub.bmfa.org
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Amsoil 100-1 but again mixing it 83-1.
        Cheshire Hell-E-Cats best in Static May 2013
        Charmouth - Best In Show April 2013
        Kyosho concept 30SR Hughes 300
        Kyosho concept 60SR II Jet Ranger
        Mini Titan Agusta A109,Tow Cobra and Bell Huey
        Futaba 9ZHP WCII

        Comment


        • #5
          Rock oil Synthesis 2 Racing @ 32:1 works ok in my helis and planes.
          Too many helis and planks, well that's what she says.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by GIXERMAN View Post
            Maj will proberly be the man to ask
            Yeah but we jist luvs ta tawk 'bout oil, can you dig it. I knew that you could.
            Kasama, Minicopter, Henseleit, JR, Shape, Beam
            Robbe, RMJ Raptor gasser, powered by
            Spartan, Spirit, BeastX, Kontronik, CY Total-G, DX8

            member of Epsom Downs and Bloobird clubs
            Proud recipient of 7 EGS! and a platinum star

            Comment


            • #7
              I've recently bought a litre of optiprotect specially for Rc gas engines and I'm trying to decide if this is the way to go or not.
              The decision was made as Klotz oils are specifically recommended by TRM engines in their engine document and optiprotect is a klotz oil.
              Opti is easily available in the UK which is why I thought i might try it.
              Currently I'm breaking the engine in using a mineral oil (lawn boy) but ready to change over to synthetic very soon.
              I just wondered what anyone elses opinion of using opti would be.

              OptiProtect 1 Litre 2 Stroke Pre Mix Oil OHPM1000

              Comment


              • #8
                My thought on the Opti would be to ask 'Toxic Al' if it's OK as a Klotz oil. But at the end of the day I don't think there's anything that would make the TRM any different to other engines when it comes to a good oil.

                I had a TRM briefly (now maj has it) and had not heard about them recommending Klotz. I will add, the TRM 300 is a lovely engine, so smooth and started literally 1st pull every time.
                Kasama, Minicopter, Henseleit, JR, Shape, Beam
                Robbe, RMJ Raptor gasser, powered by
                Spartan, Spirit, BeastX, Kontronik, CY Total-G, DX8

                member of Epsom Downs and Bloobird clubs
                Proud recipient of 7 EGS! and a platinum star

                Comment


                • #9
                  I used to run Motul 800 in my gasser (it hasn't flown for a while now)

                  I mixed it at 50:1 with no issues.
                  Invertix 400
                  Vortex 285
                  TBS Discovery Endurance
                  X4 II
                  Schluter Champion Longranger
                  G4 E720
                  G4 E720 Big AIR edition
                  Goblin Urukay super slow
                  Goblin 700 KSE Slow
                  Goblin 700 KSE Fast
                  Srimok Faifa
                  Spectra G
                  Synergy 766
                  I'm not controlling it, just preventing it from crashing
                  http://mangled-rc.com/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by theonlygk View Post
                    I've recently bought a litre of optiprotect specially for Rc gas engines and I'm trying to decide if this is the way to go or not.
                    The decision was made as Klotz oils are specifically recommended by TRM engines in their engine document and optiprotect is a klotz oil.
                    Opti is easily available in the UK which is why I thought i might try it.
                    Currently I'm breaking the engine in using a mineral oil (lawn boy) but ready to change over to synthetic very soon.
                    I just wondered what anyone elses opinion of using opti would be.

                    OptiProtect 1 Litre 2 Stroke Pre Mix Oil OHPM1000
                    I've been using it for quite some time now.
                    No issues, pleased with it.

                    Could do a lot worse
                    Heli's: Trex 700 - os gt15hz : Goblin 380 & MSH Brain - Trex 450 Ikon : Blade 550x & 180cfx
                    FPV: Sky Cruise 2400 - Cyclops Tornado - 700tvl cam
                    SkyWalker - Cyclops Tornado - 700tvl cam
                    DJI F550 - Naza v2 - iOsd - BT module - 700tvl cam
                    Mini Talon - MFD - 700tvl cam

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Phill. H View Post
                      Rock oil Synthesis 2 Racing @ 32:1 works ok in my helis and planes.
                      I have no idea what Rock oil is like these days, but from my experiences in the late 80s, I wouldn't sully a drain with any Rock oil product.

                      I hope things have changed, but in the late 80s/early 90s, coca cola was a better lubricant than Rock oil.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Hi,
                        I use Ipone R2, available in the UK, because I use it in my G230 RC race engines so I've always got it in stock. Good for engines that reach 20,000 RPM so a heli should be fine
                        Cheers,
                        Gavin

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X